Tuesday, February 01, 2011

the dark side of getting the most for your money


i am not a bargain shopper. to be honest, i am not a shopper. period. when sarah is lucky enough for me to pick up anything at the store/cvs/wherever, i am going to be in and out. my mission, if i have chosen to accept it, will be to march into the establishment with list in hand or in my head, get what i am there to get, and find the nearest express lane checkout. more often than not, these trips aren't even for the o'kelley house. they are for limbo. early on sunday mornings, i'll travel to the huffman wal-mart looking for something quick and easy for breakfast. i'll come up to the checkout line with a package of ground coffee (starbucks or dunkin' donuts), a few packages of pop-tarts (strawberry, blueberry, s'more), maybe some mini-doughnuts (powdered white) and two half gallons of something else to drink (orange juice, milk, chocolate milk...two of those three). i might throw in a package of gum or an impulse disney movie, and i am out. quick and easy. i couldn't tell you what brand of drink i bought. i can't tell you if i got the better deal on coffee or the one that was on sale that month. i just don't care. never have. if i am lucky, i never will.

sarah, on the other hand, is a coupon-er. she is not a freak about it, but she does clip some coupons. for everything. we'll be sitting down to a relatively nice and peaceful dinner out at ruby tuesday or some other kid-friendly joint and she'll exclaim, "ooh. i think i have a coupon." inevitably, i roll my eyes and ask her to stop searching for it.

"seriously, the waiter is coming right now! please...put. that. AWAY!"

saving money is great i am sure. sarah has taken over the lion's share of the money responsibilities in our home, main reason being i had a pretty gnarly habit, when single, of not paying a whole lot of attention to things like "due dates" and "amount owed." more often than not, i just paid attention to the "minimum amount" and would send it in around the same time the next month's bill came in. no problem, right? the only exception to that rule was my rent, and i am proud to say i was never a day late in my bachelor life with that check.

anyway, back to the point, saving money is great i am sure. but there are a few things in this world that are worth not skimping on. mind you, i haven't found many of these things. we'll be eating dinner and afterwards, sarah will say something like, "that was the off-brand this or that..." or "those chips were low-fat and on sale. could you tell a difference???", and i'll be like, "sonuvabitch!!!...no....but don't do that again!!!" she's sneaky like that.

most of the time, she coupons or buys healthy or goes low on stuff at the store and i never know the difference.

until a couple months ago.

when she bought the prison toilet paper.

i am sure the prison toilet paper purchase was my fault. i am all the time complaining/whining about how freaking quick she and the girls go through a roll of toilet paper.

"daddy. can you get me some toilet paper???", says one of the girls sitting on the pot.

"i got you some yesterday, baby."

"i know. it's gone."

"whatthef...gone??? how is it gone? i haven't even gone to the bathroom since i put it in there!!!!"

"i don't know." "can you bring some toilet paper, please?"

so, i am sure sarah heard these types of exchanges and thought to herself, "alright. i hear you. let's see what we can do about this."

at some point, she went to what had to have been wal-mart (there's no way publix would sell this abomination) and bought the prison toilet paper. maybe she was wowed by the fact that the package was guaranteed to "last seventeen times longer than average roll of toilet paper" or that 24 rolls cost 89¢, but she got it. and let me tell you, the last couple of month's worth of trips to the can have been unpleasant.

the paper, itself, is paper thin and rough all at the same time. you would think based purely on how thin it was that a roll would exhaust itself quickly. but, it must be wrapped around that cardboard cylinder tighter than the core of a baseball, and it doesn't. it doesn't exhaust itself quickly. it lasts for freaking ever. each trip to the toilet, i cringed. i'd finish my business, clean myself up and march out of the bathroom as fast as i could to bitch about the experience.

"PLEASE don't get the prison toilet paper anymore. what have i done to deserve this???"

"oh, it's not that bad."

right. my guess is that sarah was just doing her thing at work to avoid the prison toilet paper at home.

after what seemed like years, we finally were ready to buy a new package of toilet paper.

"seriously, please get the good stuff. please don't get the prison toilet paper."

"whatevs."

in spite of dismissing me, though, sarah did, in fact, get the good stuff. extra soft. very fluffy. wonderful to feel. after i finished this morning, i wished for more output, if only to savor the reward after.

saving money is great i am sure, and i am certain my wife does an excellent job, and i bet she even does it in part so that she doesn't have to bitch at me about going to subway three times a week while she is forcing down a lean cuisine. i love that she cares that much for me. and our family.

i do hope, moving forward, that she will never skimp and buy the prison toilet paper again. it was far too unkind to the area of my body that deserves a lotta love and a lotta concern.

excuse me. i am going to the bathroom. i don't even have to go. i am just going to wipe for fun.

ewwwww.

6 comments:

Christina said...

...this was certainly an interesting read!

I shared some especially hilarious bits with Charity and she and I both agree that we've had that experience, that TP before. And it is truly awful.

I must say, though, the toilet paper at the Dollar Tree is actually really decent, and way better than prison TP. So...just putting that out there, if Sarah gets prison TP again, just run to the dollar store, get you a 4-pack of cheap yet satisfying TP, and all will be well.

Matt said...

Agreed. Sometimes in life you gotta pay for the good stuff.

Tara said...

Well toilet paper wise, the cheapest we go is Scott...which is still not as soft as it could be, but they do have a soft version.

There is nothing wrong with always having a coupon on hand for almost anything. You know I can vouch for that. But I take one day a week, look at every store and every deal. I see what I need/want and see if there's any deals/coupons I can use. We'll go with toilet paper for this example.

Target had a few weeks ago Scott Toilet paper a 4 pack for $3.69. I had a target coupon for $1 off any size and a manufacturers coupon for $2 off any one. With that stack I got a 4 pack of toilet paper for $.69.
That's .17 a roll vs. at $3.69 it's .$92 a roll. Needless to say I bought 15 4 packs for around $15, after taxes. that's 60 rolls in my stockpile.

Because of coupons I get all good, name brand things but for around 60%-100% off retail. In my stockpile right now I have every staple item we use daily, name brand too. I have Pantene, Herbal Essences, Gillette, Olay, Dove, Special K Cereal, Cheerios, Planter's and Emerald Nuts, Mueller's Pasta and I mean you get the picture. Most of those thing I got for $.50 or free.

I have a list of what I pay for staple items in my house. So I guess you can say I'm an avid couponer. I mean I have a binder that goes with me that has all my coupons in it. It keeps the husband at home, but I get the deals to save him money which equals happy husband.

but for another example on what I pay for things, here's a quick list of what I would spend on things because of coupons (keep in mind these are all name brand items):

Pasta: Free
Cereal: $.70-free
Nuts: $.25-free
Cookies: $.50-free
TP:$1-free
Hair Care: Free
Body Wash: free
Deodorant: Free
Razor/Cartridges: $1-Free
Sodas: $2 a 12 pack
Toothbrushes/Toothpaste: Free
Meat: $1.50-free each pkg.

You get the picture. But I am a stay-at-home mom, so I do have more time on my hands, but the 2-3 hours I spend a week doing this saves us so much that right now all we have to buy really is Milk and whatever I can get at a rock-bottom price to stock up on.

So next time you roll your eyes at a coupon, think of it as money in your hands in the form of a coupon. As I tell my husband, if they didn't want you to have that deal, why would they put out that coupon right when the sale happens at a store.

But regardless it's good to coupon in moderation or even the way I do, it helps save you a little bit at a time. And as to your toilet paper issue, I haven't ran out in weeks, lol. :)

kevin said...

amazing, tara. just...amazing! :)

sokelley said...

thanks for the backup Tara! And, just so everyone knows, I did buy Charmin last time. It was on sale and I had a coupon. :)

Christina said...

Dude, Tara's comment has made me see the light of taking the time and effort to get coupons! Enlightenment in the form of a blog!