Tuesday, April 26, 2011

humc is weezer
(and that's not an altogether good/bad thing)


once upon a time, there was a band called weezer. in 1994 (my junior year of high school), weezer burst onto the scene with their self-titled album and their hit single, "undone - the sweater song". weezer was unique in the midst of the angst-y, self-important early nineties for several reasons. they didn't look like rock stars, in so many words. rivers cuomo and his thick-rimmed glasses looked like fifty guys that i would walk past in the hallway at school. when they played music and made music videos, they looked out and into the crowd and the camera versus staring at their shoes like so many of the scene grunge bands of that era. their songs had an edge to them, but they were poppy as all get out, immediately accessible and fun. cuomo's lyrics were incredibly self-deprecating (and still are), removing the pretense from whatever criticism they would inevitably receive from "making it". on the strength of "...the sweater song", "buddy holly", and "say it ain't so", weezer (the blue album, to fans) went multi-platinum and weezer was everywhere.

a couple years later, weezer would follow the blue album with their masterpiece, pinkerton. not nearly as accessible as their debut, pinkerton found cuomo at his dark and witty best. the songs took several listens to conjure up the same magic as their previous effort, but, once ingrained, you couldn't let them go. pinkerton, to this day, remains one of my top ten favorite records ever, and i can't imagine enough records coming out and into my "old dog" consciousness to knock it from that perch.

a funny thing happened to weezer, though, after pinkerton failed to make their record label mounds of cash. commercial success pulled cuomo in directions he was obviously uncomfortable moving, and his band was asked to change. over the last ten-plus years, weezer has spent record after record trying to recapture the mythical glory that was their early years. over the course of their last four or five records, the band finds itself in an unenviable place. they are a cover band, a weezer cover band that has spent the last several months on tour for two nights in each city they've visited, one night playing the blue album on the whole, the next night the same with pinkerton. don't get me wrong, as a fan that has written off five of their last six albums as "totally not pinkerton" (i gave maladroit an good, honest shot. still don't like it.), i would've loved going to one of these doubleheaders. but, in the end, i would've been sad for a band that i once loved whose "adoring" public had refused to let them move forward and mature into something more than that band that makes me feel better about being a teenager/college student.

as i sat around yesterday thinking about weezer, i started wondering and worrying about the place that my church currently finds herself in.

for years now, probably since before i came on staff in 1999, our congregation and her leaders and her pastors have been busy, maybe/maybe not intentionally, repackaging what was our blue album. in the late 80's and early 90's, we wrote a figurative album that many, many people found accessible and enjoyable and relevant.

nowadays, we are still very relevant to the majority of the group that has stuck around through thick and thin, but we can't quite figure out a path to our future. i wish on most days that we could forget about our past, stop talking about being 140 years old, and just pretend that we happened upon 200 or so nice people in the middle of huffman that were interested in establishing a united methodist church in the middle of a community that could use some tender love and care. having said that, i realize that wouldn't be fair. you can't ask people that have been around the church for way longer than my 30 years served to forget about our history and tradition any more than you could ask weezer to erase the blue album and pinkerton from their catalog. we will always carry that part of our identity with us.

the question remains, what good is it to us now? it is just a cause for celebration, that we've been able to survive for 140 years, or somewhere buried in all those years can we excavate and discern a map that points us toward 2100 a.d.?

our long range planning committee resumes its work this coming sunday, out from underneath the constraints of natural church development for the first time in months. here's hoping we can renew our energy and focus from this time last year and help create a vision that will energize our congregation to become something we didn't know we could be.

if we can't, i worry our 140th anniversary celebration in october will feel less like a party and more like a viewing, full of characters from our past gathered to pay their final respects to an old friend.

#whatwouldjesusdo

6 comments:

amy said...

weezer as humc is an amazing comparison! it's totally true and i'm guilty to some extent of perpetuating that idea in my own head. i've told anyone who will listen what would have made my "perfect" easter service. give me some jack hair in a voice over telling me the tomb is empty, some balloons flying around, and a rousing rendition of "up from the grave he arose" and i'd be a happy girl. sadly...that didn't happen. to go along with the highlights from easter past, i also think that a band with some more celebratory music to go along with the hymns and maybe some drama to add to the experience would have been a nice addition. looking to the past with no want or intent to move forward is no way for humc to live. i know there is a way to relate the positives from the past to new ideas for the future. i hope that a new vision will be like you said, a way for us to "become something we didn't know we could be." that sounds like a pretty good goal to me :) for as great as the blue album and pinkerton were, how awesome would it be if weezer(humc) became the band Brand New who has seemingly changed their sound with every album but has yet to disappoint?

kimberly said...

I really think finding the balance between old and new is key. I agree with Amy - my whole family discussed (for about 20 minutes) songs we should have sang, removing the black cloth from the front of the church, balloons coming out, etc. In Limbo we discussed (meaning I talked about) how we should bring back Arise My Love. What about singing some "Oh Happy Day". Goodness I could go on and on. I think establishing our traditions we want to keep, as well as every year introducing new and exciting music, skits, videos on a projector, etc into worship not only at Easter, but every single week. I love tradition and the past, but I also love experiencing worship services in a way that I have never experienced them before. I really hope Huffman can find it's niche. Reach out to the entire city of bham (remember there are colleges in that town - maybe those students are tired of "Six Flags Over Jesus" churches). There are so many groups of people we can reach within a 30 mile radius, and we actually have a facility to hold them all! I pray yall can find a good balance, and get the church excited to go out into the community and bring people in. The old saying, "bring a friend to church" doesn't cut it. We need to actually hold events in the community and literally bring them in, while offering a type of worship people will want to come back for.

Philip said...

believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for tradition. I loved a lot of what we had going at Huffman "back in the day." Heartsong, in all its short lived glory, was central to keeping me in church at all during high school. That being said, it was never as perfect as I think we all want to remember it being. We had a lot of the same problems back then, but perhaps in different ways. I liked the idea of Huffman UMC, I thought the people there were great people, but I never really felt intimately connected to very many people there. I think a lot of people felt that way but didn't say much about it. I only say this to be honest, not to be critical.

I think the problem is that we don't just remember and honor the past for what it is. We turn it into an ideal version of itself. I remember the 6-7 months of Heartsong being incredible, well attended, and moving, but not the slow painful death it suffered because no-one was coming for the last six months it was going on. I loved my piece of Huffman, but now I think I love the "idea" of it more than the reality of it. I still think we can use traditions and be creative, but here's what I, one person, crave more than anything out of my church home.

1) Growth - I want to be challenged, not only by the preacher, but by my whole church community to keep growing in faith and as a person

2) Intimacy - If I am really being honest, the people I see every Sunday don't really know me, and I don't really know them. This is partially my fault, but it has been really difficult to find true groove, even within my Sunday School Group. What probably grew Huffman UMC in the first place was people coming together, developing friendships, and becoming a real church family who loved their church because of the people. I want to do a better job of connecting with the people in my church circle and developing deep, lasting friendships. We can sing the Mickey Mouse song in worship for all I care as long as there is love there.

3) Community involvement- there are some signs of life here, but we have to start touching the 5 miles around us more. I have not been great at getting opportunities to do this together, but I promise to work on that. I was planning for us to go to Reconciler next Sunday, but events beyond my control kinda wrecked that. I want to do something at the end of May like volunteering to deliver food baskets for East Lake Farmers market or working in the community garden there, and I think we can make that happen.

intimacy, growth, community. That's all I got. cheers.

Philip said...

by the way, Kimberly pretty much nailed it about the folks we could be reaching out to. The entire reason I came back to Huffman was that they actually had SOMETHING going on for people my age. If we could supplement that with the small group ministry as well as relevant worship experiences, we could be onto something.

Stacy said...

cool blog.

Stacy said...

cool blog.