Tuesday, August 02, 2011

when condescending turns to caricature


"growing up means...
watching my heroes turn human in front of me...
the songs we wrote at eighteen were shortsighted and naive...
so when the weather breaks, i'll pull my hoodie up over my face...
i won't run away...
as fucked as this place got, it made me me" -the wonder years

if i've been asked once, i've been asked fifty times, "why do you stay at huffman?"

i've had all sorts of different answers to the question. it always depends on what mood i am in, what's happened so far with my day, what day of the week it is, what the braves current record is, whether or not clay travis has put up a new picture of an alabama football star in what looks to be a compromising (if not shady as hell) situation. there are a lot of factors that go into answering any question ever, but some questions are more loaded than others.

"why do you stay at huffman?"

is the person asking the question genuinely concerned for my well-being? more importantly, might the person asking the question be genuinely concerned for my family's well-being, especially on emotional or spiritual levels? this person is asking because they just don't get it. they don't get how i can blog time after time about what i perceive huffman umc is lacking, time after time about being disappointed in something new or, more than likely, something old that continues to perpetuate itself into our future. they don't get why i haven't graduated to that next level, that level that tells every single one of us that the grass has got to be greener on the other side at some other church with much less familiarity and much less baggage and many more kids and cheesy contemporary worship and all that other stuff that makes church feel like a club and not a conviction. but they care. and that's all that matters. their question is loaded, sure, but it comes out of concern.

"why do you stay at huffman (with an understood, "goddammitt!!!" at the end)?"

is the person asking the question peeved with something i've done or said? does the person disagree with one of the opinions i've shared here on HACATLKAM? they ask it with a tone that implies they've figured out the answer to the questions i've been posing. they've figured out that i would rather be unhappy than happy. they've figured out i'd rather be unsatisfied than satisfied. they've concluded "you don't have to go home, but you've got to get the heck up outta here!" would be my best plan of action.

"why do you stay at huffman?"

this person doesn't go to huffman. all they've seen or heard of the place is from this blog, a blog that doesn't often paint us as a puzzle that has located all of her pieces (we're actively looking under couch cushions). this person maybe doesn't go to church at all, and doesn't plan on it. this person may be indirectly related to huffman through softball or basketball or bunko, but they don't care to get any closer than that, because they really like to sleep in on sunday mornings. this person doesn't really care about the answer as much as they are interested in where the conversation may go after we move on to baseball or politics or something less infuriating than church.

"why do you stay at huffman?"

this time, i am asking the question, but i am asking it to my friends wife "minions". i ask because i need honest answers and i need to know why we are so stubbornly masochistic.  i ask because they share a history with huffman umc, but they don't share my history, and they all have their own respective and equally fascinating reasons why they call huffman their home. some of them answer the question with answers you might predict. most of them are not so predictable. when i ask the question, i don't ask for reassurance. i don't need any reassuring. i do need help, though, to see the forest from atop different trees. changes in perspective can oftentimes lead to a change in strategy. changes in strategy can oftentimes change the game. indeed.

"why do you stay at huffman?"

i didn't. i left years ago. i have really fond memories that i will always carry with me and i will always wish the "left behind" my best and for their best.

"why do you stay at huffman?"

i didn't. i left years ago. "the youth group wasn't big enough anymore." "do we even have a children's ministry?" "seriously? a black preacher? what was the bishop thinking?" "seriously? a hispanic congregation? what was the senior pastor thinking?" "why don't they ever do liturgical dance?" "that one guy looked at me funny once?" "that lady leaves the service early." "all the old people remind me of death." "the new pastor is constantly reminding me of death." "that little boy cusses." "he's poison." "that other church has a petting zoo." "this one has a starbucks." "y'all do realize indoor plumbing has evolved in the last 140 years, right?" "what the fuck is limbo anyway?" "do you have exercise groups? they do." "do you have young married people? they do." "do you have rich people? they do." "wait, this is huffman, right? where are the black people?" "i have a passion for starting new churches." "new churches smell better." "new churches have flat screens." "mmmm...contemporary worship." "that church won't allow cell phones in worship, because god told them it was unacceptable. it's in the bible. retweet that, bitch." "i don't honestly remember why i came here in the first place."

"why do you stay at huffman?"

i didn't. i left years ago. they ruined me on the idea of church. i will always wish the "left behind" stay left behind. good riddance.

why do you stay at huffman?

it's a loaded question for sure. a different answer for every different day for every different person in our church. no right or wrong, which is the hardest pill for some to swallow. no black or white. no good or bad.

why do you stay at huffman?

or don't you?

9 comments:

Christina said...

As I sit here cackling to myself in my minions' quarters, lightning and thunder happening all around me, I find myself compelled to type, driven by being considered a 'minion' of someone - my evil heart's dream!!

Anyway, so why do I stay at Huffman? Good question, considering I don't really feel like I even AM at Huffman (sleeping in on Sundays disregarded because most of the time it IS unintentional), but only in a more intangible way; that is, I'm not a member. (Oh, no, I sure hope that makes my opinion valid!)

I guess I stay at Huffman because my natural curiosity for churches and 'The Church' and rituals got me going regularly, though as with most things in a young relationship, it largely depended on whether or not my boyfriend was going, too. Then you asked me about Limbo, and suddenly it felt like I belonged, which to say for a group of, like, 9-13 people, me knowing only 4 people there at first (or less?), is extraordinary.

But as for the actual church service, I don't know. I didn't like DCD (still will always LOL at that) or his services, but it wasn't like I hated them (or him, of course). It just wasn't my thing. And then Harris came along, and the first sermon he preached I cried at, so that was a sign that he could actually say something that meant something to me. I'll admit - I like being able to sing and pretend like I can do so well, that I should have been in a church choir, because I have never really belonged to anything like that before.

But it's not like I turn on my history major/English major critical thinking and take notes on the sermon and criticize things. In fact, I have the tendency to tune out lately...and I don't know why.

I'll say I stay at Huffman for the fellowship of the friends I have made there. There's not a Limbo that goes by that I don't enjoy. I'm not all that concerned with my spiritual fate or the 'end of the journey' - I mean, not really; I don't sweat about it or anything - so it's certainly not for the state of my soul. I find comfort and joy and so, so much laughter, as cheesy-as-hell as it sounds, in the group that is Limbo. I like being a minion, because we can all laugh about how silly that term even is when applied to anyone whose opinion someone disagrees with!

...but my sleeping in is no indication of how much I like you all, I promise - my body just loves sleep a little more.

Reagan said...

Uh...

Christopher Perry said...

Though I'm sure there are many, many answers to your question, the answer my idealistic little mind always hopes people would say is, "Because I think God can really use me to change lives as a part of this community of faith." or "Because this is where God called me." All of the reasons you listed for why someone is (or is not) still at HUMC (or any church) are the realistic ones. Because this church has this program and that one doesn't. Because this church meets "my needs" and that one doesn't. They're all usually very selfish and, honestly, petty reasons. Some might even say they are still at HUMC because they are too stubborn and/or blindly loyal to be driven away no matter what. Or maybe others would say that about them. But, for me, the only reason to be at any church is because God called you there and is using you to make a difference. I hate that "the church" has fully embraced consumerism and lost the missional mindset. Why am I not still at HUMC? Because a bishop told me to go somewhere else and it was decided the church couldn't afford an associate. Simple as that. Otherwise, would I still be there? Hard to say. I can be pretty stubborn and blindly loyal sometimes, too. It's my hope in all churches, no matter the age, programs, size, or community around us, though, we would start training our people to be missionaries. Then the only thing that matters is are you doing your part to change lives for God's kingdom. The other stuff doesn't seem so important.

kevin said...

Christina...you are so silly. And you are on quite the roll today, aren't you??? ;) I am glad that something at HUMC spoke to you in a way that made you interested at giving it further glance past the relationship that initially introduced you. I am glad that we get to share something as special as I (biased alert!) think Limbo is together when you can carve yourself up and away from your bed on Sunday mornings! :) I hope we can start looking at excuses to move Limbo around and about to make it a little more convenient to those of us that may find Sunday mornings inconvenient. It only seems fair at this point. As for the choir thing, I don't know that I've noticed your voice, but you should totally give it a shot if you thought you'd like it!

Chris...I'd like to think my ideals drive me most of the time, but I worry, too, about how much of my passion is driven by blind loyalty. I'd like to believe there is evidence that I've been of some worth to our community. Then there are days where I worry I've done more harm than good. I don't know. It's a journey, one that I have believed in for quite some time. Constantly, I am waivering and wondering...

Christina said...

I know! I really don't know what got into me, but maybe my "you just wrote three papers in one week"-ness from school is shuffling off. That'd be welcome.

Anyway, I've considered doing the choir, but I'm too nervous! Limbo's got a great time, because us PSP folk don't have to be at work yet, and most people don't have to leave right away, so it IS a good time, and a good place since we'd all be there anyway if we're going to church (well, theoretically), but a change or maybe getting together more than once would be always fun! Plus, it might make the Limbo-haters something more to talk about. :)

I hope your post was in seriousness. Reagan's comment made me paranoid...thanks a lot, Reagan!! ;)

kevin said...

Don't be paranoid...of course the post was serious. :)

Chief said...

I have a excuse you can add to your why did you leave HUMC if you are keeping count. After 20 years of helping all kinds of programs such a heart song, good neighbor, sunday school, BBQ's, car washes. and hundreds of so and so died can you deliver a meal. I was abandoned by the entire church from leaders to "friends?" when I needed a friend to talk to or maybe just someone to bring by a cake during my time of need. It was like after 20 + years I did not even exist as far the this church was concerned. "Just cleaning out my closet" as a famous singer and song writer once said!! Chief

kevin said...

I am sorry, Greg. What is even more sad is that I am certain you are not alone in feeling neglected by the church that you gave so much of your (and Barbara!) time and talent and love to. I own my part in that. It becomes so easy to just assume that people, once committed, will stay committed, and if they dont, then the attitude is, "Well, that's on them!!!". There has to be some balance between personal accountability to the pledge you offer the church when you join and the church being (more than!) willing to take care of their own when we find ourselves in a valley. I admit that I am terrible at finding that balance. We do miss you guys, though, and we think of you often! If I can do anything for the "Chief", I'd be happy to. :)

Anonymous said...

I think its the people. However, even that's not going to be enough to keep people in the church for much longer if programs keep getting cut. It seems like this past year, so many things are just dropped. No more children's choir, no more handbells, no more Wednesday night suppers and no more programs for children on Wednesday nights. It just makes me very sad.

Melinda