Tuesday, April 08, 2008

kissing my (proverbial) sister never felt so good


i won't waste too much of your time today, but you'd be disappointed if i didn't gloat just a little bit, wouldn't you? no. no, you wouldn't.

but i have to. i just have to. the comeback is too epic not to mention. in my bracket pool, midway through the second weekend of the tournament, i was buried and left for dead one spot above last place. but i pointed my fingers at the roof of that coffin, mini-flashlight in my mouth, and i started punching. and punching. and punching. saturday night, i broke through. saturday night, my kansas jayhawks (yes, i said it. my kansas jayhawks) beat "everyone"'s favorites, north carolina. game on.

i glanced at the pool and noticed that two people in the entire group picked kansas to win the title. and if they did? those two people would share claim to taking the humc bracket for a full year. memphis stood in the way as the dirt on my climb to the surface, but, after saturday night, it was inevitable. i would win that group. yessir, i would. and i did.

the only thing that will prevent me from being an insufferable buffoon over the next couple of days will be the fact that i have to share this prize with andy. but, if i have to kiss someone in my "family", i could do worse. congrats to you, too, my friend.

and, so, for the first time in five years (maybe more), i have restored what is right in the world and i have proved that i know more about sports than EVERYONE!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

that, or i was pretty damn lucky that espn chose to weigh the championship game as heavy as they did (completely rendering false my theory that tourney pools are won or lost on the first weekend) and allowed me the means to complete the journey from (near) worst to first.

either way, i will enjoy this day.

"thank you...first off, i would like to thank mark gottfried..."

2 comments:

andy said...

likewise, i will gladly share this reign with you. to the rest of the pool, have fun looking up at our collective butthole for a year.

sweet victory...

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you, dear. Notice, blog audience, how silent the blog was when the wife was well ahead of the husband in the aforementioned bracket pool. Her revelry during her reign was more subdued. Humble. Polite, even. Of course, the husband's argument would be that nothing but the end result matters, and I suppose he is right, in the male-brain world at least.
I'm still happy with my effort, nonetheless. I represented.