Wednesday, January 07, 2009



hannah and caroline and me

(part twenty-two)

why does this picture look like i am chilling out, strumming (or clicking) along to some gay-ass dave matthews band song while my five year-old daughther is magnificently shredding away to the latest and greatest riff biohazard ever played?

has time passed me by this quickly??? hannah is already more kick-ass than me??? wtf?!?!

what's too bad is that this really is a fairly accurate representation of what i look(ed) like when i play guitar. i always feel like i am wearing my strap too high, much like how gay-ass dave matthews wears his, but that was the only way i could ever make my fingers feel comfortable on the frets. sonnuvagun, i tried, but wearing the strap any lower would make my wrist lock up like i had carpel tunnel or something. the more i think about it, it sounds like i may be the gay-ass one. dammit! seems unfair considering how much i love "the rock" that swagging like a rock star wouldn't just come naturally. oh well.

i do love this picture, though (thanks, kathy). the weeds christmas party presented me and hannah, both, our virgin experiences with the juggernaut that is guitar hero. i totally see how it could ruin your life. you'd have to arm me, personally, with enough expansion packs that i wouldn't want to kill myself after hearing "bulls on parade" for the hundredth time, but i get it.

because it was my first time, i still have no idea how efficient i was with my clicking or if i did well enough to beat out little eddie van halen ripping next to me, but it was fun regardless.

back to the original point...as much as there is a side of me that cringes at the thought of hannah already being cooler than me, there is a bigger side that overflows with pride. the same side that sees, even at this very young and very impressionable age, her subconsciously soaking in all of her influences and then producing a product, a personality, that is all her own, all very....hannah. i may never produce a boy that can run or hit or shoot a ball like i used to, but if my little girl can melt your face with an ax in her hands, you know what?

i'll take that shit every day of the week. and twice on the day that uncle kiker introduces her to "master of puppets".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn Right! She's riding that axe low like Robert Trujillo pounding on a bass guitar. Teach her how to flash metal between riffs and it is on! You know White Zombies bassist was a girl! Keep rockin' Hannah, keep rockin'.

Christina said...

Back in my day, you were cool if you could beat your dad at Mario Kart 64.

I was VERY cool.

Anonymous said...

Mario Kart 64?

Back in my dad you were cool if you could beat your dad on Space Invaders on the Atari 2600! Crap. I'm old.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome :) I loved the picture too.

You may feel old (ha ha), but I truly felt like an adult when I realized that I was more interested in my kids being smart and cool than I was in ME being smart and cool. After all, I can point at my smart, cool kids and say "I made that!" That's the ultimate cool.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Kevin. You are not alone. Between me, Chris and Beth, Hannah has the best score at bowling on the Wii. She beats all of us. It really makes you feel old when your six year old beats you and you were really trying to win.

Melinda

kevin said...

does it surprise anyone here that i never played a videogame with my father?

no? good.

there were cons to spending my middle school years living in a trailer with a crappy to downright horrible stepfather. learning that there is no such thing as being cool was not one of them.

you either have it, or you don't. hannah has it. we'll keep tracking caroline.

"like miles davis", though, we've all been "swayed by the cool".

Matt Benton said...

What have you got against Dave Matthews???