Wednesday, May 19, 2010

conversations with kathy
(part one)


CWG, book 1, p. 39:

"There are those who say that I have given you free will, yet these same people claim that if you do not obey Me, I will send you to hell. What kind of free will is that?"

It seems to me that the religious concept of God as unknowable is accurate. The "Ultimate Reality" or whatever we choose to call it, cannot be comprehended by the human mind. ALL religions say this somewhere in their scriptures. It follows then, that in our attempt to comprehend the incomprehensible, we project onto God characteristics that we as humans can understand.

We touched on this in Sunday school yesterday (sorry you weren't there Kev!). The idea of hell and eternal damnation, in my opinion, is and was created by humans. WE need to believe that "bad" people will be punished. It's hard to see people behaving in ways that we think are wrong or even evil, and yet they seem to continue on with their lives relatively unharmed. Where is the punishment, the retribution, the consequences? Life seems unfair. Thankfully, God will give them what they deserve in the afterlife! Whew! I feel better, don't you?

If this is your belief, that's fine- I'm pragmatic when it comes to religious beliefs and practices. After all, if it's working for you, what more can you ask? However, if you're really in the business of KNOWING God as much as He/She/It can be known, then we have to be a little more objective. That's where I have a problem with the conventional idea of free will- you know the one that says that we can do whatever we want, but if we don't do what God wants, then we're going to hell? Hmmm. Maybe we just need to forget what we want and try to figure out what God wants...

Here's my take: If there is a cost associated with a certain choice, then choice is no longer free.

I'm frustrated by the mental gymnastics that Christianity asks us to perform in order to accept this idea of free will. We must suspend all logic in order to accept the concept of free will that isn't actually free. I know, I know- you can't know God through logic, but must know God through faith. But putting faith in convoluted thinking which was created for the purpose of making us feel better about the obvious "unfairness" of life is stupid.

If there is no eternal retribution, of course, then how in the world can we control people's behavior? It IS a dilemma.

-----------------------------------------

on the whole, kathy, i agree with most of what you are saying. having grown up in the church, i always associated free will as being somewhat conditional. it wasn't 'til i got out and away from the church for a little bit that i was able to understand just how conditional it really was for those that chose to immerse themselves in the thinking that God would have us running through a maze for this portion of our existence.

obviously, there is a comfort to the conditions if you adhere to them, and i am sure we'll touch on some of the more specific conditions as we continue this conversation. as it relates to the subject of free will, though, let me look at it for a second through the lens of humc's current senior pastor. i love brother harris, and i don't know that i could convince myself that he had one disingenuous bone in his body. let me say that first and foremost. i believe with every ounce of my heart that he has my and the congregation of our church's best and eternal interests at heart when he delivers a message to us on sunday morning. having said that, i'll say this. many of his sermons center around a recurring theme. as our pastor, he warns us in so many words that free will is something to be tamed, not embraced. he has said many, many times that all he wants for his congregation to know is the information that is vital for us to pass through with him into the kingdom of heaven. and i love him for that. even though he is constantly reminding me of my mortality and the fears that have enveloped me since last july, i love that my senior pastor cares for me and my church family so much that he is doing everything he feels called to do to make sure we spend our eternal life enjoying the same heavenly reward. 

as it pertains to this post's topic, though, it's the taming of our free will or the bending it towards one specific answer, one truth, that i have a hard time swallowing. if God, in fact, formed us truly in his image, it seems preposterous to me that he would allow our eternal separation to be so mechanical and unrelenting and un-grace-full to be risked on my perpetual questioning. did He not build me to question? does He not question, himself? wouldn't it make more sense that the free will that we all struggle with, when it comes to our desires and our vices and our loves and our interests be looked upon as a gift and not a curse? to me, it does. 

to most, they would agree...to a point. to the point where they've drawn their conditional line in the sand. i've been raised to believe this. and i can't so far as to believe that. so, i'll end up settling here, because it's much too scary over there. i am guilty of drawing lines in the sand too. i am happy, though, that it seems, as i am getting older and obtaining a broader sense of who i think God really is, that my line continues to pull back to allow many others behind it rather than pushing forth and becoming more exclusive. 

after all, free will is not just my gift. it's yours too.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If we want to get to the crux of the matter, which is what Walsch tries to do, then we have to ask the big question. Can you do anything, no matter how "bad," and still be reconciled with God in the end? I'm not talking about being sorry and asking for forgiveness, saying a gazillion Hail Mary's, and generally jumping through all the religious hoops, etc., that are required by most religions in order to get back on the good list. I'm talking about there being a predetermined outcome of reconciliation- a sense that, no matter what, you can't lose because Life isn't a test to be passed, but an experience to be savored. I'm talking about eternal reward/outcome here, not the natural consequences we face for our choices in this life (which we should definitely talk about), but ULTIMATE outcome. As I touched on earlier, this is a dangerous idea because it takes away God's big stick, which religions clumsily try to wield in order to control human behavior. Still- what would the world look like without the threat of eternal damnation? What do you think?

-------------------------------------------------------

well, if we are talking about "the world" as we experience it now, it sounds really scary to not have a check (whether that check is represented by religion, government, etc. doesn't really matter i guess) that might balance out the manifestation of "evil" in the world. that being said, the rhetorical you pose is one that we already have a metaphorical picture of in the story of adam and eve before "the fall". this picture is very attractive. it is one that, in my heart of hearts, is close to what i used to dream of when i thought of what waited for me beyond this life on earth. no worries. no thought of "evil". eternally, immediately and always tangibly in the presence of God, never worried with even the possibility of being separated from that Presence.  

i love the idea of taking away "God's big stick". doing so would , in my opinion, impactfully and relevantly revolutionize the way we did "church". i might choose this as our next topic. we'll see. 

i'll conclude my thoughts, though, on free will with this. i tend to agree that "free will", as it is marketed and practiced today, is severely perverted from how God might define it for us. 

i'll let you close us out.

-------------------------------------------

Of course it would be nice to close with a definite answer. You and I could figuratively dust our hands and then high-five each other for figuring out one of life's mysteries :) Good job!

Who knows whether or not there will be eternal retribution. I think not, but that's just me. What I do find tantalizing is the idea that if we let go of the idea that there is ANYTHING of which God would disapprove of and thus disown us- well, if God's not judging us, then how could we judge each other? Instead of judging and condemning one another, maybe we'd simply observe and learn from one another- and when we see that someone has made a choice that leads to pain and suffering, then we could offer our help.

Maybe I'm just a Pollyanna :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, Dolores here. There is a little book I read years ago titled "The Will of God". It is compilation of five sermons written and delivered during WWII by Leslie Weatherhead. It is still very pertinent to our lives today. you may want to read it. There will be a study done on it in the fall. Rev Weatherhead talks about the intentional will of God and how with our free will we mess up His plans. Then he talks about the Circumstantial Will of God. This is where He takes our mess and tries to straighten it out to get us back on path. Then therwe is the Ultimate Will of God. If you want to reda the book I have a copy. God does give us free will to do as we choose, however, make bad choices and there are bad bad consequences.

Anonymous said...

From: Frances Tyrone

I am glad God does not make us choose Him, but rather He wants us to want a relationship with Him. As a child, I thought of God as a punisher, but as an adult, I have experienced much more of God's love for all of us. I think we oftentimes punish ourselves when we make bad choices. You plant corn, you get corn. You plant strife, you get strife. You plant goodness, you get goodness. One of the choices I have made with my free will is to try to open myself fully and with abandon to seek God in worship. Have you ever been in a worship service of your own making with your eyes closed with your favorite music playing while you whisper genuine conversation with the God of the Universe? Just the two of us. I was in my forties before I did this type of thing. What I came away with was a feeling of being in the Presence of holiness; refreshed, renewed and with an indescribable certainty of God-love. Free will wasn't even on the table. It felt like by allowing God into the deepest part of me, I gave myself the gift of Him. I think discussions about free will are important and part of the journey, but for myself, when I allow myself to be fully immersed in God, the questions seem to fade away. But, keep on discussing; bring on the questions. I don't think our questions are a surprise to God.

Anonymous said...

Jim Nix - Kevin, Kathy, in her comments Dolores mentione Leslie Weatherhead. Again, let me recommend that you read his "The Christian Agnostic." It was first suggested to me by Burns Nesbitt many years ago. I re-read it every few years just to reaffirm to myself that there are others who question such concepts as Free Will and Hell and Judgement Day and that my questioning does not mean I'll be eternally damned. I don't think that the term "Doubting Thomas" is a pejorative.

I personally think that the answer to your discussion here can be summed up in one word - Karma...

Anonymous said...

Frances - I know some people that believe that everyone goes to Heaven, regardless of their beliefs. So, that would include Hitler, Stalin, pedophiles, you name it. I'd like some of your opinions on this.

kevin said...

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming as my and Kathy's conversation continues...

I've read "The Will of God", Dolores. You are right. He presents some interesting ideas.

Frances, I appreciate your thoughts too. I think we will definitely get around to talking about Hell, separation from God, etc. sooner rather than later, but that's for another post. For now, I would just ask if you thought Hitler, Stalin, and other random "bad guys" were, too, created in the image of God. If so, what does that really mean? It's not for me to judge their sins. Who I am to say that they didn't talk with God with their last breaths and work some stuff out. Who knows???

Jim, I am with you. I've always thought the term "doubting Thomas" was much more of compliment than a negative.

Thanks again, guys.

Matt Benton said...

This is really cool. I've thought about it too, how God has supposedly given us free will but has only designated that certain "right" choices get us into heaven. It doesn't sound so free to me either. And if whether or not you make it in or out depends on whether you have accepted Jesus as your personal savior is pretty shaky too. Because I am pretty sure that my decision to be a Christian has a lot to do with where I am from and how I was raised. If I was born in, say, Saudi Arabia, things might be a lot different.

So I don't think you can fairly judge peoples' eternal damnation or salvation by who they decide God is. That seems even less fair than judging people based on their actions or sins.

Anyways, I like this though. It's pretty cool seeing a good back and forth discussion topics of this nature.

HUMC Kids said...

Frances- in the book, there is a statement- attributed to God- that says this:

"Hitler went to Heaven. When you understand this, you understand God."

Believe it or not, that statement made me cry- and the tears were tears of joy, joy that God was more magnificent than we ever give Him credit for. To me, God is not small, petty, and vindictive. He needs no retribution- and that is why I believe that all people are reconciled with God after their life is over. This life is fleeting and we all make mistakes. People are born with mental disorders and personality disorders which prevent them from adhering to norms that the rest of us have created. Most violent criminals have a personality disorder...

All this to say, in the end, I believe God welcomes us all back into his fold in order to rest and heal from this ragged race that we have run- and who needs more healing than the "worst" of us?

Chris Perry said...

If I may throw my 2 cents in here (not worth more than that):

Interesting conversation. I agree 100% that free will is non-existent and it's sad that 90% of Methodists don't know that John Wesley disagreed vehemently with the idea of "free will." He didn't want to be known as an Armenian. Wesley taught "free grace." BIG difference. "Free grace" means that humans have been corrupted by sin to the point we cannot, on our own, choose God. We'll always choose selfishness. By God's grace, only, we have been allowed 2 choices - God or sin. So it's not freedom to do whatever we want, but freedom to choose which master we serve, which puts much of the debate about "true free will" in a different light.

Also, with regard to the hell comments and "hitler going to heaven"...I understand the gist of the idea, but, again, it sounds like a very corrupted (by Christians) view of hell and soteriology. Saying that God just says, "Aw, that's all right. Come on in to heaven." to everyone means Christ's sacrifice was useless and unnecessary and that God's justice is a joke. We can't dismiss the idea of hell just because it makes us uncomfortable. Nor should we be using hell as a scare tactic or personal tool for retribution. I don't believe God sends anyone to hell. I do believe, however, that some folks choose it by rejecting God's offer. Justice and love really go hand in hand. The main point, though, is Christianity is not about heaven and hell. It's about unleashing an unbelievable life beyond anything we could do on our own.

Anonymous said...

Frances: I really like what Chris Perry said. His argument makes sense to me. "For by grace we are saved through faith . . " and Kevin, I don't know how many deathbed confessions there have been in the history of mankind. I would hope there would be many but to be brutally honest, I would like to believe that justice is doled out. Make it personal and then check with how you really feel. I do believe that we are made in the image of God but do we choose to remain in the image of God throughout our lives? We're not perfect, we all fail, but tell me how you would feel if some scoundrel were to do harm to your beautiful girls. Or wife. Would your beliefs change? Would you personally want to send the scoundrel to hell? Everyone has free will and if a person doesn't use self-control, his/her free will can cause a lot of harm to others. I guess I need to work harder to have faith that God sees the all encompassing picture and He will perform what is best for everyone. Kathy, to what book are you referring? I might need to put it on my reading list. What is the worst horror we have experienced in our individual lives and how has that event(s) affected our beliefs? Or has it not had any affect on our beliefs. I struggle immensely when innocents are hurt. Feedback, please. (You guys are great!)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Chris too. What was the point of Jesus suffering and dying if everyone just gets into Heaven? Jesus gave us the most unbelievable gift with his sacrifice. It is up to us whether we choose to accept it or not.

Melinda

Unknown said...

Jim: The idea of God's gift of "free will" being questioned is a corollary to the idea of predestination. The ancient Greeks had two words for time, chronos and kairos. Chronos is "people" time. Kairos is "God's" time. Because God is outside of "people" time, he sees the past, present, and future simultaneously. From His viewpoint He knows who will choose redemption and who won't. Thus, some say that our choice is not a choice because, from God's perspective, the decision has already been made. Thoughts?

HUMC Kids said...

Jim- I'd have to say that I don't see this idea as being related to predestination. You say that Predestination means that God already knows who will choose him, whereas Kevin and I are discussing the idea that God doesn't require that choice to be made at all (in relation to ULTIMATE outcome). Real time/world consequences are another matter :)

Frances- I've held off on answering your question about people harming others, etc because I think it's going to take us into a related subject that will be discussed in another post. (Yep, Kevin and I have no intention of stopping soon). It's an important question- and I hope we'll deal with it at some point here.