Friday, October 28, 2005

fear the community...

i just told a friend of mine that i've been "blogging" for less than a week now, and i already feel myself tempering what i want to say. why? for fear of upsetting someone of course. don't want to step on anyone's toes. don't want to make anyone think less of me. don't want anyone to think i am a bad person. fuck!!! what is wrong with me? i know i am not a bad person. in fact, i think i am a pretty good one. i love god. i love jesus, and it's my want to somehow make everyone i stumble upon see that love and want a part of it. that's good, right? but, still, i hesitate. god, being on a church staff for six years will change you. maybe not for the worse, necessarily, but it will take away your cajones. my methods don't match up with a church and congregation like HUMC all the time. a halo 2 night? "oh no. that's not right!" laughing and fellowshipping with family guy? "i don't like that show. the baby's creepy. they fart." leave the youth center open past 8? "they can go and hang out somewhere else. i can't stay here all night."...

HUMC canceled their halloween carnival this year. no box maze. no cake walk. no bean bag toss. my "sources" at the church told me the main reason was lack of volunteers. how nice. the church championed the outpouring of "community" into the church last year. we planned for 150. 750 showed up. maybe more. we were awesome. we'll double it next year. bullshit. "you mean we have to buy 100 bags of candy instead of ten? no way, dude!" "something's come up. i am sorry. i have to watch a rerun of the king of queens." how silly and sad. i'll probably be more upset as monday draws nearer. this may be continued...

"they" can go to huffman baptist i guess...

they will.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOW the gloves are off...

Anonymous said...

From now on I will be known as Jacobs.

Man I hear ya, I was disappointed when I heard there wasn't going to be a box maze. That was one of my favorite things we did in youth. And no Halloween Carnival in general?! That was just shocking. Back when we lived in Huffman, my sisters and I couldn't go trick or treating like we could in Trussville, so we went to the Halloween carnival and the church. Although I think it was at the building across from the Baptist church back then. So what about all these kids that live in area? Where are they going to go? Probably some carnival at another church. For once Huffman had a good community outreach program! Why aren't they trying? That's not the HUMC that I grew up in.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I was pretty upset! I love do the box maze, so i was upset when we were going to do a haunted room instead. And when the whole thing got canceled that was pretty shocking. Even though last year was my first year to work it, and my first year to go since i was like 6. But then funny thing is, nobody ever mentioned it in "big church" nobody ever asked people to volunteer...so did people really not want to, or did they not know? Was that a coincidence, that it wasn't metioned in church really? I think not. I think there's more behind the story here, i just wish I knew what it was. Youth council doesn't ever know anything anymore, we don't get the story behind the story...

Anonymous said...

youth council as WE know it is no more...

Anonymous said...

Hi there Kevin, why don't you give me a call sometime. I thought this was interesting. Confirmed a few comments from some concerned folks. Look forward to talking to you.