Monday, August 17, 2009

first day of school
(part two)


no, you are not mistaken. hannah did, in fact, start school last week. and, for that matter, caroline will be bumped up to her new class tomorrow. it was me that had that first day of school, queasy feeling as i headed into the store this morning.

i wasn't quite sure what to make of the feeling. lord knows that i am ready to get back into a routine that doesn't involve family feud being the highlight of my day (although, i do love me some feud!). i didn't ask for three weeks off. had i, the three weeks would have been spent doing something fun and i would've subtracted pain and inconvenience from the equation. i got the three weeks off anyway, though, and walking into the store felt exactly like i thought it would feel, like i had been gone for six months and not just almost one.

if i take a couple days in a row off or even go crazy and take a long weekend, the store suffers. that's not me tooting my own horn or me ragging on my staff. i love them all and they do great jobs most of the time. things just aren't quite the same or quite as efficient when i am not there. productivity dips. things are a little less straight. a little more finds its way through the cracks. driving in this morning, i think most of my anxiety was rooted in how much "we'll just wait 'til kevin gets back" that i would find.

i found plenty.

to be fair, the store didn't burn to the ground. my other managers stepped up in ways that my micro-managing self might not have allowed had i been around, and, in that regard, all parties, myself included, probably grew up a just little bit while i was away. it wasn't that i didn't trust them. it was that i trusted myself more. a flawed way of thinking, but my ways of thinking often are. no, the store didn't burn. not even close. there was some drama that'll have to be addressed (isn't there always?). some customers that were rubbed the wrong way (ditto). but nothing was broken that can't be fixed, and, boy, i do love fixing. fixing and hating the braves is what i do.

and so, tomorrow, there will be less to worry about. tomorrow will still be filled with "hey! welcome back!"'s, but i am ok with those. they make me feel warm. but tomorrow will feel more normal, and normal is something i've been searching for for a while now.

how normal at work will fit into our "new normal" will be decided as we get farther into things, but i am excited to find out.

and i am excited that think we've almost gotten past the point where every post here on HACAM feels like a diary entry.

not that there's anything wrong with that.

No comments: