Sunday, August 30, 2009

my fantasy team is better than yours
(part three)






i can't imagine that (m)any of you chose to retain any of my posts from this time last year referring to my fantasy football dominance. that's ok. i am here to remind you.

i went undefeated on everybody's ass.

i played humble as long as i could until the above referenced link, and i just couldn't contain myself after the deed was done. it was righteous. it was incredible. it was everything that i would've ever imagined. and it was good.

i had won fantasy titles before. heck, i had even been the way-superior team in the league before. but i had never gone undefeated. no one ever goes undefeated. at least, not in leagues that i've played in. but, i went undefeated. and i am here to remind you...

...because this year i will be terrible.

this isn't me lou holtz-ing my team immediately after the draft like my buddy whose names rhyme with miss and terry are wont to do (i've gotta get my shots in now, right cp? ;)). this isn't me setting my expectations low so that i will look ever the more glorious as i leap above and beyond them. this is me telling you that i don't usually believe in karma, but i so believe in karma when it comes to fantasy sports.

everything, and i mean everything, went my way last year. my draft position was perfect. all of my fliers worked out. my rookie running backs last year are all going to be top 10-15 picks this year. in the one game i was in jeopardy of losing, i won due to the "bench points" tie-breaker (only those that play know how ridiculously rare that is). and in the last game of the season, the championship game, my opponent mirrored my lowest point total of the year with his own, and i snuck to the title through the back door.

and, so it goes.

the buck has already began to stop. i've never drafted any lower than six in my league. late tonight, i will be drafting nine. i've only once ever drafted anything other than a running back with my first two picks (that year i finished 6-7 and got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs). at nine, there will be no "elite" backs available and i will be forced to adjust my tried and true strategy. do i take wide-receiver? that doesn't sound right. a top-two quarterback? well, that'd be nice...i guess. still doesn't feel right. my draft is going to be magnificent agony, for the entire hour and a half i will doubt myself and my picks. i am already preparing for the fall from last year's peak.

to be sure, i will still try very hard. harder and with more ferocity than any human should put into an online "game". and that effort will get me into the playoffs. that effort will keep me interested.

it just won't get me undefeated. or a title.

i love fantasy football.

No comments: