Monday, February 20, 2006

Sports Talk Entry Number Seven (Roundtable Edition)
winter sports, among other things...


* let me go ahead and throw this out there. shani davis is a dick. i know this comment will cause sarah to count me in the number that need culutural sensitivity training, but i tend to disagree. you can't escape the whole "icy relationship" story between speed skaters shani davis and chad hedrick even if you are just passing through the nbc telecasts, but seeing the 1,000 meters and the post-race interview with shani sealed it for me. shani davis is a dick. poor shani. people are talking about him being selfish. he came from the "mean streets" of chicago. his mom's the speed skating version of earl woods. big whoop. you just won a gold medal. be happy, dude. if you smile for the camera, are nice to melissa stark, and actually embrace the historic moment, sponsors would come calling and you and your crazy-ass mom would be set for life. too bad. i'll be rooting for chad hedrick in the 1,500. boo shani. boo.

* i've watched two almost-complete usa ice hockey games, and they've lost both 2-1. i like watching them, though. the guys playing are pro's, but you still get the feeling they are the scrappy underdogs. i'll watch again tomorrow and root that they don't have to sneak into the quarterfinals through the backdoor.

* ice dancing is stupid. sorry again, sarah...and hannah. and while i am on it, so is bobsled. what is up with the guy(s) who just push the sled to help get in going and then jump in and duck and then get no credit? that's stupid. just put a motor in the thing to get it up to speed and let the "driver" do the rest.

* lindsay jacobellis? i feel better about things now that you've come out and said you were showboating. the whole "i was stabilizing myself" just wasn't going to work. but damn. four years is a long time to have to wait to live something so silly down. i hope you do, though.

* bode miller? (insert boisterous stewie griffin laugh here)

* speaking of winter sports...nba all-star weekend came and went and my love for bron-bron only grew. i can't wait to watch him in the playoffs this year. mark it down on my calendar. lebron plus playoffs equals appointment television.

* speaking of can't wait...world cup isn't so far away. it's incredible that the usa are now good enough and deep enough that they can play their scrubs and still whip competition they are "supposed to beat". i love that. if claudio reyna is healthy, i am predicting quarterfinals.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, I'll assume you haven't re-thought your decision not to train as my ice-dancing partner?

those husband and wife duos are stellar...

:)

Anonymous said...

You've covered the winter olympics pretty well. I can't believe you didn't mention skeleton though. Now there's a real sledding sport. Through yourself down an icy hill face first at 80 mph! A wheelbarrow is not big enough for that sack. That's either total insanity or one of the coolest things ever.

You nailed the USA hockey team, too. I've heard a lot of folks down on them, but they weren't ever considered a medal contender. The fact that these NHL millionaires are throwing themselves in front of slap shots and flinging their bodies into the corners says they care. And that's all I ask. With their millions of dollars, I just want to see that they care about their country, and I'm proud of their effort. I hope they whip Russia tomrrow. And I hope Bode falls on his out of shape, arrogent rear end again.

Sarah, if Kevin is going to lace up the skates it's going to be with pads and a stick. None of this ice dancing stuff. I'd have to whip him myself just on principle if he started that. :-)

World Cup...wow! I loved this weekend's game. And you know what, Bama didn't look too shabby either.

Anonymous said...

world cup! woo!
my parents bought me a usa home jersey for christmas that has cundiff on the back and my number, 2. im gonna wear for every single game. becuase theyre actually broadcasting every single game. YES!!!
USA! USA! USA!