Tuesday, April 11, 2006

a month full of "last's" slowly comes to an end
buried under satan's yardstick


the last couple of weeks have been filled with many "last's". my last schedule to be made. my last customer to serve. my last day at cold stone. my last night spent in huntsville. today marks the last day of my unofficial spring break. soon enough, this coming easter sunday actually, i will participate in my last service at common ground. shortly after that, i will drive up to and back from huntsville for the last time (thank god). that is, until hannah is old enough to enjoy the space and rocket center.

all of these "last's" beg the question, "what now"? i am thankful to say that with all of these things coming to an end, and inevitably being faced to deal with extra time on my hands, i do not have plans to immediately start something new just for the sake of it. just for the hell of it. hell being the operative word. there's a cheesy e-mail forward that makes it way into my inbox from time to time. it's message is that the devil intentionally puts things in our life to keep us busy therefore taking time away from our focusing on god. there's an acronym for B-U-S-Y in the e-mail like buried under satan's yardstick (or something like that) that i cannot remember. now, whether "a" or "the" devil puts busy-ness into our lives or we do it ourselves is for another theological post and the bottom line is it's just semantics anyway. to the point of the e-mail, though, today i say amen.

for a long, long time now, beginning the day i accepted a job at HUMC, i have been busy. there has never been enough time in my day to accomplish what i wanted or thought needed to be done. this path continued through my time in huntsville. forget my family. forget my friends. i have to stay busy. don't bother me. "i am doing god's work". well, maybe i was. but i don't think that god was signing off on all the things i was forgetting or lowering on my priority list. for the short term, i will co-manage a pet supplies plus. i will work and then i will come home. if, on my off days i find too much time on my hands, so be it. we'll go get ice cream. or krispy kreme. go see a movie. to a braves game. to the playground. i'll just sit around and blog. and i'll be better for it. a better man. a better husband. a better dad. a better servant.

what's the use in being driven by a career when that career, that job, that "doing god's work" asks you to relegate the important things in your life to "i'll try and fit you in to my schedule."? the answer is there is no use. none. nada.

the next time i am buried under satan's yardstick will be the day my cats start losing weight.

No comments: