Tuesday, September 30, 2008

opinions are like senior pastors at united methodist churches
(every"body" has one)
((and maybe that's the problem))


here is this blog's dirty little secret. if there are children listening right now, you may want to turn down the radio. ok. are we ready? good. most of what you read on hannah and caroline and (kevin) is...shhh...opinion.

on top of that? a lot of my opinions are based on...shhh...second-hand information. sometimes third-hand. sometimes, fourth. sometimes, more than that. sometimes, way more than that. all of it depends. all of the inspiration is relative. now, there are those of you that understand that. there are also those and will continue to be those (i hope) that are new to this particular fold. they might not get it at first. they will read a post. they might be offended. they might think it's stupid (they'd probably be right). they might think it's worth their time (it's not.) but those are the facts. these are my opinions. by definition, they "rest on ground insufficient to produce complete certainty." and i am cool with that. are you? from time to time, it's healthy to remind "you" of this, what should be common sense. from time to time, it's healthy to remind me of the same. no use getting all bent out of shape over one person's opinion, right? you may agree with them. you may not. if you don't, keep this in mind. you can add or subtract from the "point" of certain posts here. in fact, i love it when you do. you can even tell me what passage of scripture you think would help me work through my and that post's issues. but don't be bothered. why? don't you have enough to worry about? than my opinion? who am i? i am nobody. i am everybody. and everyone has one. take a deep breath.

opinions. "that's what makes the world go round." (sing to the melody in disney's sword in the stone.) one of my favorite tv shows, pardon the interruption, thrives because you are either a fan of tony's opinion or wilbon's opinion. or you are making your mind up while you are listening to them. are you for the bailout? are you against the bailout? mccain? obama? alabama? auburn? coffee? coke? meth? or heroin? hispanics? no hispanics? organization? chaos? where do you fall? what do you think? why do you hate me? who do you love? why? why? why?

as i've spoken thousands of times before here, the "why" is what's important. and it's always the "why" that gets us in trouble. because my way is not your way. and usually, it's your (my) way or the highway, right?

"this is not the right forum". why? because you (i) said so. don't vent in e-mails. speak face to face. "you should come to me." why? because you (i) said so. in your opinion, that's the way it should be handled. romans 12 doesn't address internet ethics. i can't find a passage that does. but we can make it say what we need it to say. so can i. because i am right and you are wrong.

we are all ridiculous.

i love hearing from readers. i love talking to them. knowing that they care. knowing that some of what is important to me is important, on some level, to someone else, even if you don't agree with me completely.

to those of you that i have absolutely lost with all of this rambling, i am reflecting on this. last week, a "concerned" (you know how i love that word) member of our congregation at humc sent out an e-mail expressing her opinion on certain subjects in the church. these subjects included the church's leadership (or lack thereof), the structure (or lack thereof) and the lack of transparency that she felt, in her opinion, could use improvement. well, people went apeshit. why? because they didn't agree with her opinion. they didn't feel that she knew what the crap she was talking about. and thus began hurricane internet. nevermind "why" she felt the way she did. nevermind that she is following, in the best way she knows how, the same christian guidelines as we all are (for those of us that are). she must have been wrong, because she did it in a way that "they" would not have. who cares about the "why"? someone must be wrong. "inflammatory". "insensitive". "disrespectful". blah-by, blah, blah, blah.

church people can be silly sometimes, right chris (perry)?

if you want to be catholic, do it. if you need someone to speak to god for you, cool. i don't judge you. in my opinion, i don't see it that way. i am methodist. i am serious about it. i have it blazed (literally and figuratively) on my person. and i believe that "you" and i are on level footing. you share with me. i'll share with you. but your thoughts, your opinions, the way you interpret scripture, the way you go to church, the way you see fit, the way you think is right...they don't mean any more to me than what all of my thoughts on those subjects mean to you. if we are on even footing, then we can work together. if you think your shit smells slightly more rose-y than mine, then we are going to have issues working together. and that's not opinion. that is a fact.

i "hear" that last night (the "emergency" meeting to end all meetings) went pretty well. softball went well, too. thanks for asking. i asked sarah how she would rate the night, 10 being positive and 1 being negative. she gave it a "7". i can live with that. i was bracing for a "3". "7" leaves room for much, much worse. and i can live with that. can you live with me? i bet you can. i don't have any reason to dislike you for more than a moment. there's a good chance you don't know me well enough to stay mad at me. we can talk, right?

you can read my opinions, and you can share them or not. as i've said before, i cannot express to you (especially you, hannah and caroline) how truly blessed i feel that you would spend any of your time with me here. there are surely better things to do in a day.

if you do choose to, though, don't be silly. don't be offended. this isn't the right forum for that nonsense. and that's an opinion.

6 comments:

donnag said...

Interesting thoughts as we approach World Communion Sunday. Part of my sermon will point out how differently communion may be observed in different denominations and cultures. We even have several names for it - Euchrist, Lord's Supper, Love Feast, Communion. But the point is, even though we have different ideas (or opinions) about some things, we share this common belief in and love of Christ.

Seeing things differently does not always mean that one is wrong and one is right. Read the following and then go read my blog.

GODISNOWHERE.

Anonymous said...

Kev, it might just be your opinion but I check every day to see what your opinion is. I read them all, except those that look exclusively about sports. You know Melinda and I sit in the dining room while the rest of the Weeds watch football. They are often the most thought provoking I encounter all day (you know I am shallow and retired). Please don't stop sharing your opinions.

Matt Benton said...

I may be totally missing the point of this post but it reminded me of how I've been asking myself those "why" questions lately. "Why" do I have the opinions that I do? I find the answers kind of scary. A lot of times it seems like they are based on my personal prejudices or because I have just been socially forced into those opinions without much of a challenge.

Some people believe things because that's the way it's always been. Others believe things because it causes so much tension to disagree. And yet other believe things because they really do make sense. This isn't to say that anybody is necessarily wrong, nobody comes to the table without some kind of bias. We are all limited in what we know and how we form opinions.

I just hate it when one person's opinion is the end-all answer to everything - the "my way or the highway" type of person. There are way too many people like this in churches today.

Everybody has an opinion, and the internet is great because you can use blogs or e-mail to get it out there easier. Opinions are good when they're out there. That way discussion can take place, and that "why" can be challenged and defended. That way of doing things doesn't seem all that bad to me.

Anonymous said...

I guess what I saw in this blog is something that's important to me (which is probably why I saw it-sorry if I'm reading into it)-

Rather than focus on HOW someone communicates, it's important to see WHY someone is communicating. In other words, what is motivating someone? Is it anger, or is it pain? When you can ask yourselves those questions, then you can address what's important- you can speak to the pain rather than cause more pain through your unwillingness to actually hear what they're saying.

It's not always easy- most of us live our lives from a reactive standpoint- but that's because we're always trying to protect our ego. I like to think Jesus could speak directly to people's pain, anger, and hopelessness because he never felt the need to protect his ego-he didn't take things personally.

And aren't we all supposed to be striving to be more like Jesus?

Unknown said...

oh, donna. you are such a pastor now...

and a self-promoter. ;)

all kidding aside, we've talked about this before. the idea that your and my opinions were not always in line with each other when we worked together were one of the things that helped us click. that we were in constant conversation on what we were doing and why we were doing it was healthy for us both and the group. we may not have always seen eye to eye, but we were respectful of where the other was coming from.

deb...no worries there. :)

Anonymous said...

Well said, Kevin. In a rambling sort of way. ;-)

Your point is exactly why I've always said if it weren't for Christians there'd be more Christians.