Monday, October 06, 2008

let me introduce to you the town fool
(hannah and caroline and me, part eighteen)


wait just a darn second. did someone just jump this blog's shark for me?

we're not quite to this site's third blog-iversary, but we're close. what started off as a (public) note to my daughter has now evolved into something much more devious. much more maligned. much more...oh, who am i kidding? it's only evolved into a note to my daughters. it feels the same today, because it is the same.

hello, dear reader. welcome, and welcome back. to those of you that have been around for the context, you are the (un)lucky ones. to those of you that have found us in the last week or through copies handed out to you, well, here you are!

it's less than exciting, isn't it? it's just a blog. what's a blog? some pictures. some words. some subjective moan-ings and groan-ings of someone no more or less important than yourself.

i heard he says "bad" words.

you heard right.

i heard he says things about his church that aren't always friendly, sometimes pointed, sometimes even downright mean.

you heard right.

i heard he's sarcastic.

as hell.

i heard that one time he called a baptist preacher a dick.

what, you didn't get a copy of that one? oh well, you heard right. search hopewell baptist. it's around here somewhere.

i heard that he and his dad don't get along.

correct. well, we're working on it.

i heard that he says "bad" words.

we've covered that.

i've heard that he hates people in his church.

uh-oh.

i've heard that his mission of all missions is to get his senior pastor to leave.

did you hear that from him?

i've heard that one time he punched one of his youth in the face.

he sounds like a bastard.

i've heard worse.

here we go again.

i've heard that what he's doing with that blog of his is harmful to his church.

well, at least that one is worth talking about.

i've heard that he hates the bible.

dear christ.

i think if we let "this" happen, he'll tear the church apart.

i am taking names. will you help?

welcome (back) to this waste of time that you may or may not have been told is important for you to know (it's not.) welcome (back) to what will prove to be an ever-disappointing look into the mind of someone you may or may not care to know. good-bye to those that know what's good for them.

welcome (back) in. in this world of hannah and caroline and me, we love huffman united methodist church. you can post-rip just like "you" can scripture-rip. you can badmouth. you can accuse. and you can lie. but you cannot search "humc" at the top of this site and tell me that you are not involved in the ravings of someone passionately in love with a church that has found her way astray. you can try. i'll prove you wrong.

next time we'll take a look at back-alley politics, church style.

hope to see you soon.

p.s. - why does this remind me so much of grey's anatomy.

because you are in the middle of a soap-opera. a diversion. a cloud. something meant to distract you from the gorilla right behind you.

there's a gorilla behind me?

figuratively speaking.

crap.

4 comments:

Jacobs said...

Oh jeeze, I dont like the sound of this one, haha. Hopefully whatever is going on wont distract you too much since we have a box maze to be starting soon! yea!

Anonymous said...

nicely done :)

and may i just say i am disgusted. completely.

--sarah O (best)

andy said...

you know, when times are crazy, i still go back and read the "baptist preacher is a dick" post.

it gives me the warm fuzzies.

Anonymous said...

Hey... my first time to respond to a blog... so forgive any mistake in advance. I am a new reader. I am the one who sort of took the Olsham's commercial to literally, you know the commercial, the one where the family is sitting on the sofa watching TV and the guy comes in and says, "hey, how long are you gonna live with that big crack in your wall?" Well, I saw a crack, and just couldn't live with it anymore. Not sure it is going to be fixed for good, but it was at least now noticed by someone and I tried in my own way to bring it to the attention of others.
Kevin, you know what? You are a good writer! I notice you also write somewhat in the style of e e cummings.... mostly lowercase. You have a lot to say and with your own style say it well. ANYONE who really reads what you say, in the lines and between them, can see clearly your love for your wife, beautiful daughters and church, local and universal. As far as I know the First Amendment is not something you have to give up when you become a United Methodist. At least I hope not, and if it ever does get to that point I probably will not be one anymore! I am proud of you, proud to know you, proud that even after all this time you and I both know we are really there for each other... and I will be, and you will be.
I am not sure where this road will end up we are on. I hope for the best, pray for the strength and wisdom to know what to do next. Or where to go next if that should happen. Keep "blogging". I'll make time to keep reading. Hugs... Beth O'Donnell