Friday, November 13, 2009

i'll mail you in


my invisible friend was giving me shit the other day...


"dude. you've been mailing it in on the blog for, like, a month now. all you're doing is linking to other's people work and adding a picture to go along with it to act like you can take some of the credit. hell, sometimes, you are posting their picture too. other times, you are just posting pictures with weak-ass captions. what is wrong with you? are you a hack now?"


first of all, screw you, invisible friend.

second of all, i have always been a relative hack.

third of all, i will count you among those that never got around to reading the fine print here on this miserable waste of ether. whether it's my destroying your soul with my mindless rambling or linking to something that i think is cool/funny or just putting up a picture, there are two and only two reasons i spend time here. a) because it makes me happy. b) at some point, my girls are going to get a hold of this and know me on some level that they didn't before mommy e-mails them this address and says, "happy birthday/merry christmas/you need this in your life right now". "that's it. that's the list (thanks, tk)".

am i naive'? of course i am, but not in the regard that i don't fully understand that i am publishing this "for all the world to see". fair or unfair, that's the part that makes my narcissistic side happy. i can rail on twitter and facebook nation (of which, now, i am a card-carrying member) all i want, but, shoot, i was vain way before it was cool and/or progressive to be vain. color me whatever color that tints me and color you late on the joke. so, what does that make me? a bastard? sure. disrespectful? at times. honest? not always. biased? predictably, yes. wrong? well, no. not really. for all the collateral "damage" some have been interested in arguing that has taken place in and because of these parts, my guess is that equal amounts of truth and good has been established too. that's just my spin, my this is my spin-full zone. this is not fair and balanced. quite the opposite.

it is what it is. (man, i am so ready for that phrase to go the way of my diseased kidney)

most of "you" didn't come here looking for this every so year reminder. most of "you" don't need it. really, it's just my invisible friend that's being a little bitch.

honestly, though, i'm the one that needs the reminder, because i am the one that stresses out every time i think about "mailing it in". if i give it enough critical thought, though, the space in between every one of these posts, whatever they end up being, will tell their own stories. the longer the pause, the more to wonder about. if i was able to do HACAM for a living and gave "you" shit umpteen times a day, it would get tired. it would feel like work. and it would be worth even less of my and your time. i'd be telling them the story, instead of letting them figure it out for themselves.

right?

rationalization 101 or the rules of my game. you decide. it doesn't really matter anyway.

"so, does this mean you're gonna start writing again soon?"

it sounds like you missed the point.

but, to answer your question, in the short term, i'll be posting the coolest picture i've seen yet of the best running back in the country.

toodles.

No comments: