Sunday, July 11, 2010

now comes the hard part


it's been a year a one half since i took on the responsibility of being the lay leader of humc. there have been good times and so-so times concerning my being in that position during those eighteen months.

let's look at the positive. the atmosphere of the church is as healthy as it's been in years. that, probably, has nothing to do with me and more to do with the change from a dictator to a humble servant in the senior pastor's office. but, it has happened. with less drama to focus on, the church has been able to take somewhat sincere evaluations of ourself and look forward into our future with a cautiously optimistic attitude. harris has commissioned and asked me to lead a long-range planning committee. we have met three times this year, all ending with a very positive feeling of accomplishment. it's interesting, how a room full of honest people should be able to talk about their church and not get all bent out of shape and yet, the blissful feeling we've left with after our meetings has come across as quite novel. while that's a sad statement on the past, it's a good omen for the future. i've missed only one meeting in the 18 months that asked for my participation. the close to 100 percent attendance has allowed me to drive my heartfelt points and emotions home consistently without venom. if you hardly make a meeting and come to it with a point to drive home, it's going to be hard to take that person seriously. your motives and your agenda will be questioned. and your credibility will take a hit. i haven't always swung a big stick with my words, but i feel like my presence has been solid and stabilizing. then again, i could be giving myself too much credit to that end. what else? limbo is now 19 weeks old. it seems fairly certain that the group is here to stay. while limbo doesn't directly relate to my position as lay leader, i think it's a safe bet that we wouldn't be doing it i weren't as plugged in as i am. i may be forgetting things...

let's look at the negative. first off, not a lot has changed. that's not to say things are changing, and that is good. but 18 months into my "term", the church still doesn't have a unifying mission and we are still operating by, mostly, doing "what we've always done". as i've mentioned many times, there is immense worth in the ministry that is happening at humc, but that worth is not building a bridge to our future yet. it is renovating the bridge to our past. my (and harris') first run with the lay leadership committee was pretty weak. we gave ourselves too little time to find capable members to run our already overstretched and undermanned committees. we gave ourselves too little time to accurately inventory and restructure our current system. finally, we did "what we've always done" and asked people to sign up for positions that were not adequately spelled out, setting them up to fail. i hope that we can better our efforts this year. in spite of our efforts to look at huffman for what we truly are, it is my opinion that huffman still thinks too highly of our current standing in our community. yes, it's great that we are still here. yes, it's great the impact that the church is having on the families of our daycare children. the overwhelming feel, though, still permeates that the community "out there" is a goal to be achieved, heathens to save from being "lost", poor that need to be nourished with "the word" rather than they are just humans like us. humans that aren't official members of our club. as expected, my leadership style has been questioned. how dare i speak from my heart? how dare i not speak like a politician and not advocate for the congregation even when it still feels, to me, that the current pull of our congregation is in the wrong direction. how dare i be so "young" and so full of cuss words? how dare i this? how dare i that? listen, this part bothers me least. lord knows, i knew going in that there were 14 representative members of the church that didn't want me to be lay leader. i didn't want to change their minds. i just want to change our church. and change is happening...

i think.

what concerns me more than anything is the current feel within the church for limbo. and partly, that is my fault. it was me that thought it would be the best idea to start us during the normal "what we've always done" sunday school hour. maybe i don't want to make others feel bad when they obviously don't have a feel for what we are trying to do within that room. of course, i am sensitive and protective of the perception, because i want it to develop naturally. hearing that we "want to be involved" shouldn't be a curse, but a blessing. being involved doing "what we've always done", though, well, that holds no interest to me. you see, we are 19 weeks old. 19!!! we are consistent. i feel like we are excited to be with each other every sunday. but we are not ready to be defined. we are 19 weeks old. 19 hours, plus some, that means we have spent together as a unit. sometimes, we have to work. sometimes, we have life that takes us on vacation or to the lake. sometimes, we just need to sleep in. what we can't be is what you want us to be, not because we are actively trying to be rebellious but because, in many of our opinions, what you want us to be is misguided and in poor form. we are 19 hours old. 19 weeks old. it is not the church's fault that you are not copied on our correspondence. it is intentional. it is not coincidence that no outside pressure has come from those that are. they understand. this is a long way of saying, please back off and let limbo grow for a little while. if we are wasting your space this time next year, you can ask us to move.

wow. that was a tangent.

so, why the self-evaluation and limbo defense today? i guess, in so many words, because things still kind of feel off. and i am honestly wondering if our church would be better served if someone else served our current system in my current position. i am not saying this in a threatening manner whatsoever. it's not like the o'kelleys are going anywhere. well, these o'kelleys aren't. we are much too stubborn for that. if we are trying to grow doing "what we've always done", i don't know that i am the man for the job.

it's just something i am thinking about. and, in this era of social(-ized) media, you might as well hear me thinking...

since it concerns you.

6 comments:

Sandra G. said...

Kevin, we had the Rev. Dr. Thomas Muhomba, Director of Racial and Ethnic Relations for the North Alabama Conference, give his witness in place of a sermon at Pell City 1st UMC this morning. Richard said he has never heard so powerful a statement of faith, nor have I. May I suggest that you invite him to speak at Huffman UMC. I truly believe that he will fit as a piece of the puzzle to not doing "what we've always done."

Kathy H said...

I don't know if I've grasped exactly what you're saying, but it has made me try to put into words a similar feeling about the children's ministry.

I find myself somewhat uninspired right now- mostly because all I do is maintain the status quo, which isn't "not working," but isn't great either. The problem is, I can't seem to picture what it should be instead. And I struggle with how much of that is MY problem. Should I be the visionary of the children's ministry and push my agenda, or should the congregation be the visionary of the children's ministry and ask me to implement it?

I truly hope the long-range planning committee comes up with a vision for our church that can be a guide. I feel like I'm treading water- that the church is treading water, and I'm not sure what to do with that right now.

You're right in that we're finally out of "survival" mode and feeling good again. Maybe that's why we feel a little itchy, a little ready to DO something proactive, but we're just not sure what.

Hell if I know.

Reagan said...

Well, as a new member of HUMC, we can take this opinion as some new guy who doesn't know crap or some new guy who isn't seeing a fresh view of the church. Regardless...

Kevin, I wouldn't have joined that church more than likely if you hadn't been as involved as you are. I love you, your efforts, your family and how involved you guys are. So, regardless of what you do, I respect you, your decisions, and your efforts and where we may differ on finer points, I have never questioned your sincerity or motivation and or that, I'll always stand beside ya'. Don't you change a thing...and to anyone thinks that this is kissing ass, let me say this, "My name is Reagan. Let me introduce myself because we obviously don't know each other."

As far as the church is concerned, I hear people wanting change but being terrified of it. Why do we ask God to guide our minds, hearts and actions then ignore Him when he does it or think that we know exactly what is needed. Who are we that we think we're greater than God to decide the fate of His, I repeat, His church. Limbo, Weeds, Kathy's Children Ministry concerns, etc. are all different members of the same body. The fingers don't have the same function of the eyes, and the nose has a different purpose than a kneecap. Some like the brain are absolutely vital and some like a toenail isn't. Regarless, they're all part of the same body.

Kathy, I say let God use you as a visionary in His church. Kevin, continue to let God use you to be a visionary. God doesn't operate in comfort zones. Keep up the good work guys!

Reagan said...

and sorry but let me say one more thing. As I've very often been ridiculed for believing that God has purposes for us in a world where so many people think they know more than He does, I don't care anymore.

What I see at this time is a church where people see what they think should happen, say it's right, then try to make it happen. Well, once that's happened to every member of HUMC, I guess we'll just take the majority and do that? Or, maybe it's time we truly surrender ourselves to being God's hands in our world and actively SEEK our His will for our church. If that's done, there's one, clear goal. Not the individual goals of 300+ people. I'm not nieve to office politics or church politics, I know how things work...but it's what's always been done so here's my proposal...we do SOMETHING DIFFERENT. WE TRY SOMETHING RADICAL. YOU READY? WE SPEND TIME SEEKING OUT GOD'S WILL FOR OUR CHURCH AND DO THAT! Kathy, I hear great things about you and believe that God can do great things through you in the life of the children that you interact with. Don't let people who are ignorant or stubborn asses stand in your way. Kevin, same goes for you. Just be careful to not make it a personal goal. At that point, we're no different that the guy that "shows up to drive his point home". Love you guys!

kevin said...

Thanks, Sandra!

Kathy...I usually never grasp exactly what I'm saying, so to ask you or anyone else to would be silly. ;) I think the "itch" you speak of is real and one that was masked by the drama-induced apathy of the last several years. Now that we've taken the band-aid off and the wounds are starting to heal, "doing something" sound like a much more realistic proposal.

Reagan, ...I hear you and have taken those sentiments to heart as we on the Long Range Planning Committee are in the middle of passionately discerning God's will through that representative committee. I think you are right on with the different parts, one body approach, but it is vital that the body is moving in one direction so that the parts can work for it and not against it. If Kathy and the kids do one thing, Limbo does East Lake Park, the youth do Mexico and the other groups also do their own thing, then we are overstretching our increasingly limited resources and missing a chance at leaving a relevant and lasting footprint in God's community around our church. We're working at what you suggest, but God speaks differently to all 250 active members plus visitors within our walls. God's will looks different to every one of us. How to enact that will feels different to all. Slowly, but surely, I hope we can figure it out...

Philip said...

hmmmm....

Well, if you want my perspective, and perhaps you do or don't, the "more of the same but wrapped differently" model has been a contagious disease within the church at large, and it comes through in the declining relevance of the Methodist Church. My gut instinct is that our biggest problem as a church at large is pride. Individual pride, group pride, pride in all forms. We're allowed and encouraged to like ourselves, but that entitles us to nothing but an opportunity to love one another. Maybe what is needed are not new programs or a "cooler slogan" but instead a constant re-examination of the heart to check our motives. If what we do and say as members of the church body is motivated by a desire to self preserve or be right, it will fail. It will fail. It will fail. If we get the motive right, however, the right way will present itself. From my very short experience there, Limbo is a place for creating a home. What I mean is that, instead of seeking out a church program to install to draw twenty somethings, a group of people has taken that desire and just started being there without a hidden agenda. Keep an open heart and a spirit of kindness and good things will happen. Get defensive and self serving and the church will die.