Wednesday, October 27, 2010

34 is just a little older than 33
(hannah and caroline and me)
((part forty))


this time last year, i was certain i still had cancer in my body.

this time this year, i am still pretty certain that there is something bad lurking in there somewhere.

i don't have a real reason to think these thoughts. my neck is still jacked up, but i've been told not to worry about that. occasionally..., okay pretty much every day i'll feel some sort of twinge on the left-hand side of my back and think, "fuck me. there is a tumor in the other kidney now". i've been told this line of logic is irrational, too.

we lost it yesterday morning with hannah. i mean...lost. our. minds. she's been on-again, off-again congested for a couple weeks now and was pretty gunked up yesterday morning. naturally, we were out of liquid everything, so sarah suggested she take a pill. hannah freaks out. starts crying. backs herself into whatever corner that she can find. sarah starts negotiating in a very nice and concerned mommy voice. "you can do this, hannah. you put the pill on the back of your tongue. you put some kool-aid in your mouth. you lean your head back. you swallow." game over, right? hannah tries the first time and somehow performs an unintentional magic trick. the pill ends up in the kool-aid. sarah fishes the pill out of the kool-aid. hannah retreats, saying "it's nasty" and doesn't want to try again. sarah tells her that's not an option. she's already made the mistake of telling hannah that, now that the pill is wet, it really is going to be nasty. hannah will not try again with the first pill. sarah throws it away. she opens another pill for hannah to try again. this time, hannah gags and kool-aid ends up on the kitchen floor. it's now time for all of us to leave the house. we were running early. not anymore. all the while, the negotiating tactic has gone from cool and collected to "kick the door in, shoot...ask questions later" to sniper-level "we gotta take this fucker out. NOW! NOW! NOW!" i have been invoked as a weapon. "hannah, if you don't swallow this, i am bringing daddy over here and, well, you don't want daddy over here." another fail.

i come over and it's my turn. i ask hannah for her undivided attention and make sure that she hears me when i tell her "you are ruining the morning." excellent, right? i try and encourage her as best i can that she can do this. it's not scary. "here, why don't we try this. daddy puts liquid in his mouth, then puts the pill in to swallow it. try that." she takes the kool-aid in her mouth and then proceeds to toss the tiny pill under her tongue. god. dammit. she swallows the drink. catches the taste of the nasty-ass whatever kind of pill is in her mouth and spits it back out. she's crying. sarah's crying. caroline has no idea what the fuck is going on, but she is still pretty fucking stoked about her new boots that she got sunday, so she's super-cool.

negotiations have now moved from "we gotta take this fucker out. NOW! NOW! NOW!" level to "fuck it. let's just blow the city up. atomic bomb, please." i am ready to rip my lovely, sweet, smart, gentle, playful, wonderful first daughter into a million little pieces. i will rip her into a million pieces and i'll do it in front of her mother. her mother and i will laugh, laugh, laugh at each other the maniacal laugh that only parents at their wit's end with no discernible answers know and we'll take caroline to school and pretend like none of this ever happened.

hannah tearfully looks at caroline and mouths, "help. me."

caroline looks back and says, "zip my boots, mommy", making no sense at all.

sarah was finally like, "dude. we probably need to back the fuck off for a second." it's just a pill.

so, we backed off. we talked. i crushed the pill up (instead of my daughter) in hannah's kool-aid and she took her medicine. i walked out after making up with hannah. it took me a good hour to come down from never wanting to see her again. i picked her up from daycare after school and gave her a big hug. she was past the morning. i was thankful for that being the case.

this time last year, i was certain that i still had cancer in my body.

this time this year, i still wonder, but i move on with my day in the hopes that i don't.

episodes like yesterday morning and the fury with which i momentarily think unhealthy thoughts about my daughter(s), family or friends are telling. they tell me that i care again, which is different from twelve months ago. twelve months ago, i just stared into space a lot and worried about when i was going to die.

i am happy to care again, but i ashamed of how easily i can and have stepped into occasionally being a dickhead to the people that i care about the most. i suppose it's easy to do that. rather, i hear that i am not the only one guilty of it.

maybe, if i am lucky, another good report in january will free me from even more demons. maybe some of the fear and anxiety and anger and spite that boils over and into situations like yesterday morning will no longer be a part of me.

more than likely, they will be a part of me, though.

i'll just have to handle it better.

5 comments:

Reagan said...

First off, while it wasn't funny to you or to anyone who has kids, I still have the luxury at laughing at the pill story because I am child free at this point. Something about that was humorous to me.

Aren't we all mean to the ones we love the most. I think it's a comfort thing that's really ass backwards. Poor Meg has to deal with me when the rest of the world doesn't. i think it's those times where we don't trust the relationships around us enough to be the "true" us...so those poor souls we do trust get our wrath.

Christina said...

Um, if anyone can relate to not being able to handle pills well, it's this girl. When I was seventeen, I STILL put pills in pudding and swallowed them that way. Something psychologically about taking pills just freaks me out, and I don't know why. I've only recently gotten to where I'm able to just suck it up if I get a taste of my nasty-ass seizure medication and just guzzle tons and tons of whatever flavored drink's around. So, I understand Hannah's stress level and tears.

However, oh my God, you poor parents :(

As for the cancer thing, well, I'm STILL checking daily to make sure that lump isn't there on my arm still. But I'm definitely glad you're back to caring...otherwise I wouldn't get lovely hours at PSP ;)

CrazyCatLady804 said...

I feel for you! Christina had a real problem with pills until around 9th grade I think? I know the frustration you feel and how bad it is after things are said and done. I will always regret the way I didn't handle things very well when Christina was young. I would bet you aren't the only father who reacted that way. Hope she starts feeling better soon!

sokelley said...

So, I was reading this again and I honestly can not pull the fact from fiction. It was all so surreal. These children may make us temporarily crazy and forever changed, but I'm glad we can laugh about it together. I'm glad you're on my team. :)

Anonymous said...

Ok. Sorry, but that was funny! Would you be mad at me if I told you why didn't you try peanut butter? That's how I get the girls to take their pills. I put a glob of peanut butter on a spoon and put the pill in the middle, "hiding" it and they swallow the peanut butter. It masks the nasty taste and they don't fight me.

Melinda