Tuesday, July 19, 2011

taking back tuesday


i've said many times that i don't feel like much of an american, much less a patriot. i doubt i would ever actively choose to fight for anything other than my family and my friends, and the thought of fighting for my country and with my fellow countryman against some nebulous and allegedly nefarious force of "evil" sounds like the most idiotic thing i've ever been allowed to think. i don't get all misty when the national anthem is played or sung. i only half-way pay attention to stories that include our country being in other countries executing anything other than humanitarian agendas.

these leanings, i have no doubt, impact things like "USA-USA" worship services and the way i loathe them. in those senses, i just don't get it, you know? even having a grandfather that shared many of his war stories with me didn't influence me in such a way that my patriot switch was ever flipped. he never really could explain to me why he felt justified in killing other human beings. i've never heard a good explanation from anyone else for that matter. so, what's the real point in celebrating it?

do i feel lucky i was born here? abso-freaking-lutely. the history that has played out behind me delivered me into a quality situation, one in which the way i choose to think and speak and cuss and blog and act is, in most instances, up to me. that being said, the common qualifier is that this country is what it is because of those that literally fought for our rights to party. people died and people killed so that i could and can be an asshole on the internet, and i can't argue with those points or that sentiment. people did die defending this country. people have killed and continue to kill for the same end. that doesn't mean it's not fucked up, though, right?

i don't know, man.

this whole thought line has refused to leave my system since our july 4th extravaganza and other conversations they spawned. see here and here for two of the more intelligent entries into our discourse.  

the nationalism thing reared its head to me again while i observed the groundswell of support towards the usa women's world cup squad. facebook statuses and twitter updates, alike, told the story..."if you are an american, you should be watching this game." "hope solo makes me proud proud to be an american." "these girls make this old soldier proud." wait, what?

i don't know. maybe i just don't like women's soccer and my problem with looking through red, white and blue tinted glasses during massive world-wide sporting events ends there. it doesn't go both ways, gender-wise. i am huge follower of the u.s. men's national team. in related news, i'm also a hypocrite.

the japanese team followed the same script the americans did in their quarterfinal tilt with brazil. they were out-talented and out-played for much of the match but found opportunities given to them by the bumbling american defense for their first goal and found one shining moment of brilliance for their second. twice, they came back from certain defeat to even the game, twice they relentlessly charged ahead whilst american sportswriters were busy crafting poetry towards the three or four american women they would champion above the rest of the team all tournament. japan's never-say-die-ism, their "american" spirit, if you will, lead them to a title. the fact that they are good at soccer probably didn't mean much at all.

however...

even if the morning after talk shows gave minimal credit to the japanese style of play, they did, in turn, raise questions of choking aimed at the americans. an aside: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHOKING. EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY ATHLETIC CONTEST COUNTS THE SAME. if the americans cash in even one of the 10-15 chances they had in the first 45, fifa considers stopping the game at halftime out of mercy. end tangent. the morning after columns spoke of how the japanese victory (in a japanese country where only a reported 20,000 females play the sport. i think there are more girls out at the trussville soccer club) might help their nation recover through the healing power of soccer. bullshit. does japan winning a soccer game reunite any of their loved ones with those lost in the tsunami? of course not, but the narrative quickly changed to paint the japanese as heroes and the americans as goats. you build 'em up in sports, so you can tear them down. welcome to the machine, ladies.

in america, we create winners and losers. it's what we do best. hell, it's what i love most about sports. there is no alabama without auburn. there is no braves without the phillies. there is no lebron without lebron. there is no republican without a democrat.

i don't deserve to live in america. i think that's part of my point. i don't love it like i should.

in a weird way, though, american jingoism makes more sense in sports. in sports, you play to win the game. that's the point.

in politics, in foreign policy, in church, we should probably drop the sports schtick and move towards peace and fairness in everything that we are doing.

otherwise, what's the point in trying?  

12 comments:

Dolores Bunn said...

"maybe i just don't like women's soccer"--Don't I remember you coaching your daughter's team? As for July 3rd worship, sorry I wasn't there so I can't really comment. I have waited a long time to comment on that post. My thought is that as Lay Leader of HUMC I think it is time for you to "put up or shut up". If you have such strong opinions maybe you should do something about it.

kevin said...

You're too sweet to me, Dolores! Always have been.

If you can manage the distinction between my introducing my daughter to organized sports and being proud of her all the while not being entertained in the slightest by the highest-end female soccer product, you are welcome to. I don't get it either.

Your thought on my position in our church is duly noted. Thanks for the kick in the pants. I'm getting on it tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin!!! After all this time, here I am again. You have such a knack for offending even the sweetest of us (of which I am not - confession #1) I do know that Deloris isn't the only one of our most sweet church members that you offend...another confession: I don't care for soccer either, whether played by men, women, or porpoises...so I don't watch it...but I don't knock those who do enjoy it. Heck, I don't even watch the Braves, but I don't cut the cable of those who do. But I do care for the country that allows me the lifestyle that I so richly do NOT deserve... neither do you. We could have both been born in Darfur, we had no choice in the matter. Suggestion: move to Iran, see how they welcome you. Tell them you are a Christian (try to be convincing) and you want to be lay leader in a Christian church. Leave the kids here with Sarah, they don't deserve what comes next. Another confession: I don't care that much for the service after VBS. But I sit politely and maintain some level of attentiveness, because that is what I pledge to do at every baptism when I make the response that the hymnal prompts me to make (call me a dummy, I believe the stuff they put in there).

Dolores Bunn said...

Anonymous, I tottally agree! Thank you.

sarah o'k said...

wow! it's too bad that people are forced to read this blog and be offended by your comments and thoughts that you share. their lives really would be better if you'd stop making them read it.

i have to be honest, i read the comments on this blog before i ever read the blog itself, and the blog really wasn't what i expected after reading the comments. another adventure in missing the point, i suppose. that being said, commenters have the same freedom to post on your blog as you do to write it, so it's always good to get some sort of feedback.

moving to darfur seems like an extreme suggestion given that you never said you hate america and don't appreciate what it has to offers. i do, however, appreciate the suggestion that i and the girls be spared. :)

in fact, i think that's exactly the opposite of what you said. i'm pretty sure you said you feel lucky (not blessed, because that implies that others were not blessed, which doesn't really fit in my/your view of "blessing") to have been born here- a sentiment i share. your idea that the violent history and propaganda (yep, i said it. i equated some of our patriotism to a really dirty word) of the USA is hard to feel GREAT about is not an opinion that only you share. that doesn't mean you are signing up for al qaeda either. it's not all black and white, people. there's always gray area.

i remember swelling with pride as a 7 year old singing american songs, and the songs in church would have made me cry then. however, as i got older and started thinking more for myself, i started asking questions about what that all meant. the same can be said for my personal faith- it was blind and basically a lot of information that was fed to me when i was younger, and what it resembles right now is not at all what it was when i was not THINKING about it. maybe thinking differently from a surface belief or appreciation is a choice to go to hell (or darfur or iran), but i don't really think so.

as for the blog, surely the USA thing is not the only thing that came out of this blog. it wasn't even half of the point. so, i will comment on the other part that i think was the more interesting part. i do admit to getting caught up in the american spirit during the olympics or world cup or whatever, and i do believe that there is something deeply psychological about feeling a unity with a larger group (from which you usually feel very disconnected) and that can have certain healing or other positive properties. but it definitely usually occurs within an "us vs. them" mentality, which is true in sports, true in war, and true in patriotism. and those truths mean and can lead to very different outcomes and usually can lead into unhealthy thoughts and actions take this blog, for instance. you love it or hate it, and those "for" it are in direct opposition to those "against" it. that mentality is always divisive.

i'm not worried about your not liking girls' soccer. i don't love girls' basketball, but if our girls were playing (or when the HUMC youth girls had a team), i'm all in. again, there's always gray area.

thanks for the opportunity to comment! you could go china on us and not allow us to comment, you know. thanks for not doing that.

donnag said...

Too bad the LA Times doesn't read your blog. I might get another phone call from a reporter asking about the culture clashes at HUMC. :)

Donald Richards said...

I usually don't read the blog , but as for the negative comments if it pisses y'all off so bad to read it why do you continue to read. I don't always agree with it , but it your thoughts and opinions which you have every right to , just because I don't agree I'm not going to condem you , as for you Mr / Mrs anonymous if you don't have the balls to leave your name your opinion doesn't mean crap to me.

Melinda said...

Anonymous: If you don't like the VBS service then dont come. I'll have you know that we work our butts off for many months to make our VBS special and memorable for the children. The Sunday service is our way of showing how much we appreciate everyone's hard work, donations and help and support we receive the week of VBS plus it allows the church family to see what their church is doing to support the children's programs that they so adamantly claim to want. I hope you are in the minority. I think, though, that this is one of the huge problems with this church. The children are not appreciated. It "looks good" to have the children there but not many people are willing to truly support them. One one hand I guess I am happy that you came and suffered for the children but on the other hand if it's such a hardship for you why not sleep in. Being there and just being a warm body doesn't really impress anyone.

Anonymous said...

So Kevin is unpatriotic, un-American, and would not fight for anyone besides fam & friends ...yet he is your hero. I admit I'm not crazy about the VBS service, and I'm the great satan. Interesting perspective. If I disliked the blog, of course I wouldn't read it. But I don't have to agree with it at all times, do I (forgive me if I missed that part of the rules of reading) So there are times when I feel the urge to respond,and "anonymous" is one of the choices for that response. Initially, that was mostly just laziness on my part and unfamiliarity with the whole blog scene. But I admit I have enjoyed being that "thorn in the side" that I seem to recall Kev calling himself once. Given the malevolence that my input generates among those of my fellow church members that I will call "Kevin's minions" perhaps best that I maintain that anonymity. So, Donald, get used to it..or, if it bothers you that much, don't read it. And I will attend service as I wish, since I do believe there is something to be gained even by going on those Sundays when the service isn't exactly my most enjoyable hour.

Donald Richards said...

Dear Ms B. ( I'm giving you a name ) just remember I Love You just because you are one of GODS children , even though your opinion doesn't matter to me it's yours and you have every right to it. I hope you have a great day :)

Christina said...

I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing at "Kevin's minions" - that's just so melodramatic and blown out of proportion, just like the disagreeing comments of this post.

No, it's not just disagreement, because I believe disagreement comes with a level of respect, which none of the "disagreeing" comments show. No, here it's more like "Attack Kevin for things that aren't the point of the post." And no, I'm not just saying this because the O'Kelleys add something to my life (which they do), but because I just cannot possibly see where any of this is coming from!

Honestly, the more Anon and Dolores comment, the more it just feels like a personal vendetta than it feels like honest arguments ('arguments' used here in - again - a respectful way, not a "NO YOU!!!" playground-esque fight like the way these comments come across) used in a manner consistent with trying to come to some kind of mature understanding or compromise.

What I'm trying to say is, whatever happened to "we agree to disagree"? I don't agree with Kevin's love for football because I just don't get the appeal of the sport - however, I don't go on his football blog posts telling him to "put up or shut up."

And I'm sorry, but isn't "So, Donald, get used to it..or, if it bothers you that much, don't read it." completely contradictory, or did I not pass English 101 and not know it? Hm.

In my experience with internet arguments, a person who goes Anon is usually too insecure or afraid to say these things to someone's face, so I'll let that speak for itself and move along. Because guess what? There is such a thing as disagreeing maturely about something.

Christina said...

(By contradictory, I should have said hypocritical. Because, really, aren't you telling Donald the same 'advice' that could be turned around on you?)