Friday, October 06, 2006

closing in on 30
(less than one month to go)


"some shows you watch. some shows you talk about." i have heard this more than once, but i read it again thursday in a commentary on ew.com about lost. i am still digesting just how much i enjoyed the season premiere wednesday night, but i keep thinking about how totally appropriate this quote is as it applies to this show. i watch a lot of shows and enjoy them at the time. sportscenter. earl. office. others. but lost is different. after watching the show and sleeping on it, all i wanted to do was talk about it. the amazing opening sequence that introduced us, the viewers, to othersville. the new character, juliet, who i am already on record as saying she is going to hook up sometime in the future with jack after kate and sawyer end up with each other. the way the show could make me totally forget until it was over that 75 percent of the original cast and the aftermath of the hatch explosion weren't even touched on in the new season's first episode. i also said out loud that the premiere was great and frustrating as only lost can be. absolutely nothing was resolved. even more questions were raised. but stuff was going on the whole time. and it was great. i can't wait 'til next wed.

alabama is really mediocre and i am finding myself more and more drawn to florida, tim tebow and percy harvin. go gators??? wow. who knew i'd ever feel that way.

i am starting to get nervous about turning 30. i really am. most of my closest friends have already been there and done that, so hopefully i can lean on them for help through this, my anxiety. i don't know what i am nervous about. 30 is just i number. i know this. but it feels like a new chapter is about to begin. something is about to change. i have an idea of what it is, but i don't know how in the world it's going to unfold. we'll see, though. it's weird to think back on my life at 30. i remember so little for having been alive 30 years, but the memories i do have seem to be the kind that i'll carry with me when i am 60 too if i am lucky enough to get that far. i guess those are the best kind of memories.

i can already feel more posts about turning 30 coming, so i'll save some of my ruminating for later. when i feel more anxious. maybe i'll be so sick of obsessing about turning 30 and typing 30 that the actual day will come and go and everything will seem ok. i don't want to be too annoying with it, but it is my journal i guess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the premiere as well. Although, I'm pretty easy to please. A few things were answered, like where the others live and the "leader" (at least of that group) is named Ben. There is an underwater hatch, which had been a theory since the cable was found by Sayid.

My theory from what I gathered from the Juliet/Jack conversation is that the others are a group left over from the Dharma Initiative that succeeded in one of the projects goals--to create a Utopia. They have no contact with the outside world, though they can get information somehow. I believe they are going to brainwash the 3 losties just like I think they did with Walt. Ben's statement to Kate that the next 2 weeks would be unpleasant kind of gave me that impression. Also, I thought it was interesting that the 3 of them were placed in different places...Sawyer in a cage, maybe because he's a bad person. And Kate eventually goes in the cage also, she's bad I suppose since she did kill someone. And Jack is underwater for some reason being observed or something. Not sure, but I cant wait for next week either, the previews looked action packed.

Anonymous said...

I thought the premiere was great too. I really had to go back and think to realize how little information they gave me. I second your going on record about Juliet, definately hooking up with jack at some point. Shes a little creepy to me though, but then...shes an "other" right?
Anyway, I had gotten out of habit of reading these but I was thinking about ya'll and thought I would check in. Glad everything seems good, I guess your all moved in and stuff. Maybe I'll see you again soon, it was so good to see you and sarah and hannah at Johns that day (speaking of, no longer working there...job searching again).
And, try not to worry about 30...you are always 23 in my head :)
email me sometime

kevin said...

i am glad that i am still 23 in your head, sarah o. that made me laugh. i wish i could convince myself of the same thing.

and yes, juliet is an other, but she obviously has her own issues with "henry gale", ben, whatever we should call him. i think that's going to come back and help the good guys at some point.