Tuesday, October 17, 2006

on this, my 97th post...
(hannah and me, part sixteen)


...i begin to look back on my life as an online journalist (i use that term more than loosely for i am doing no research, fact-checking or follow-up as part of this little webpage). i don't think that i am necessarily a "blogger", if you will. i think a true weblog has a central theme that it comments on and sticks to that theme with more frequency than i post here. i don't really have a central theme. i am all over the place. i do try and relate most of my entries to how they might affect hannah or my family or my friends, but i still think that is a little too broad for this to be a "blog". i think from time to time that this is closer to a diary than anything else. maybe all "blogs" or journals kind of are. but i never kept a diary, and i don't know the rules that define them other than they have to have a lock and a kitty on the front, so that probably doesn't apply here either. i think from this point forward i will consider myself an unsolicited opinionist. for not one of my subjects, muses or inspirations have ever asked for me to take them into consideration. after reading my wrath, some have probably asked otherwise, but oh well. so, i continue to opine unsolicitly...

one of my goals when started this journal was to try and make 100 posts in my first year. i don't know if that is realistic now. i would have to make three more by next tuesday, and who knows if i will find enough time, motivation or venom to make that deadline. maybe by my birthday, though. that would be a reachable goal. we'll see.

for this, my 97th post, i will finish with talking about my daughter. one of the things that is striking to me, comparing her now, almost a 3 year-old, to just a few short months ago is how much more social she is. i know for a fact that she does not get this from me. the older i get, the less social i become. i am sure this regression started at a very early age for me. but for hannah, nowadays, we can talk up seeing kiker, or a visit with heath, or seeing meg at church, or anyone that she remembers and recognizes and it's almost as if she makes it a point to make their day by giving out hugs and high-fives. she doesn't mind playing with strange kids as long as the kids share. she won't wince (as much) when an old person at church wants to squeeze her cheeks. she'll even try on clothes for other kids' grandparents in target if she's asked. i think it is a very special gift to be able to make the person you are connecting with feel like the most important person in the room, and i think she has it. people have told me that she gets this from me, but i don't think so. with me, i have to try. i am a complete introvert that has to work sometimes to come out of my shell. i don't get the feeling that hannah will be that way, and i think she will be the better for it. she already rules her daycare class, and i can't imagine it will be long before she starts captaining a team or running for student council. she makes a daddy very proud.

for hannah and me, this will be a glass half-full day.

No comments: