Sunday, November 20, 2005

"you can wipe that shit-eating grin off your face, 'cuz this is a sad one. of course, if you've been eating shit, today probably hasn't been your day."


a week of thanksgiving, right? we're there. we're thankful, and then the thankful stops and the shopping starts on friday. really early on friday. please don't get up early on friday. it's really quite silly. if you are off from work, class, school, please sleep in. have breakfast with your family. even if it's leftovers.

thanksgiving is different this year. it feels different. i have always found reasons to be thankful. i don't have to look far. but i don't usually look forward to thanksgiving the way i am this year. i don't know why that is exactly. i know part of it's the dressing. and the coca-cola salad. and the sweet potatoes with marshmellows (if i am lucky). but i am really looking forward to the trip this year. i've gotten pretty good at talking in front of people, but i am still not terribly accomplished at talking to people. only if i feel like the person really knows me can i open up and not be a nervous wreck. i feel like, this year more than most, i wish i could tell the people that i will spend the majority of my day with how lucky i feel to be with and around them. sarah and hannah are givens, right? but i don't want to take them for granted. and i don't. not anymore. my mother-in-law knows more about me than she wants to know. i know this. but she loves me anyway. and i love her. i can't wait to hang out with her family. i may not talk any more than i ever do, but i'll be happy to be there and feel lucky that i was invited. my brother-in-law...i have always seen a lot of me in him, and i still do. he's close to where i was when i was his age. i hope i was good for him the last five years. i hope i still i am. i'll keep trying. he's good for me. my sister-in-law...i want to say nice things to her all the time, but i don't feel like it's my place. i do want to be a good uncle. i could deal with being the uncle her kid looks forward to seeing because i will always have something fun or unhealthy to eat for them. i could definitely do that. i could do more too. thursday will be a good day, for so many reasons. it will go by too fast.

i do miss my mom and dad and brian and ken and sandy. i hope y'all have a good thursday. i probably won't talk to any of you. it's my fault. i know. it does take two to tango, though.

this weekend was nice. felt like old times in some ways. hanging out with donna and donald and that gang was fun. being at huffman didn't feel nearly as awkward this morning. that was nice.

i miss so many people that i don't know where to start. i am thankful for the hurt. it reminds me of why i miss you so much. i don't have to look far. i never will.

happy week of thanksgiving everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a meaningful post deserves a comment...I guess there's no controversy with what you've had to say here. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree it deserves a comment, but I was busy getting marshmallows!