Friday, November 11, 2005

"you're favorite band sucks." (me vs. jacob vs. the world)

first off, the quote above resides on my favorite shirt in the world. sarah bought it for me several years ago. it came from "the onion". how much does that rule? it sums up pretty much everyone's feelings about music, right? i love this band or this singer so much, but the band or singer or lipsyncher you like sucks. right? it rules. you know what, though? guess how many times i have worn my favorite shirt out of the house? twice. two fucking times. why? because i was afraid that people might be offended. at what? the word "sucks"? doubtful. the sentiment? surely not. everyone thinks it. how the hell should i know? i think it just speaks to how much of a chickenshit i became for a time. oh well. times, they are a changin'. i need to find that shirt...

moving on...

to the subject at hand, jacob sutton is a stubborn s.o.b. jacob is convinced about many things musicly. firstly, he thinks queen rocks and is the band that all other bands should be measured against. i am not sure what for? their mighty guitar licks? their singer's high tenor? their "profound" lyrics? the very accomplished rhythm section? probably a combination of all of these plus much, much more. in addition to that, jacob is fairly sure that the classic rock days or closely thereafter marked the end of relevant and/or new music. in addition to that, he is fairly sure that today's music has nothing to offer him. to all of this, what do i say? i say, "fuckin' A, dude!" when i thought about this particular point of my interest i tried to gear myself up to be as incendiary as possible. but it just doesn't matter, does it?

now, don't get me wrong. i have tried. i have tried to pull jacob away from dark side and introduce him to my world of music. i am outside of the mainstream in my taste, but not way outside. i can appreciate a good pop song. i am willing to admit that "Hey Ya" is, in fact, the greatest song ever written. go ahead, argue with me. by the time you finish your argument, you will be tapping your toes, singing the chorus and finding a fucking polaroid picture to shake. i like fast music for the most part, but i can get in a mellow mood. i like lyrics that say more than i love you so-and-so, but i like my share of love songs too. i love certain bands. i mean love them. as i write this, i am listening to the first album propagandhi have offered in five years, and i am in love. i am in love with thrice. i am in love with bear vs. shark. i am in love with the blood brothers. i am in love with vaux. i am in love with rancid (see. you've heard of them!). i am in love with fiona apple (don't worry...sarah is well aware). i am and will always be in love with less than jake, goldfinger, and reel big fish even if they all suck now. nirvana, jacob, did change the world, but mudhoney was better. all of these bands have things to offer jacob, but i don't think it's my place to convince him.

i am out of love with most "christian bands". not that there's anything wrong with them, but please don't change up the words to shout to the lord again, put it to power chords, and put a sticker on your album that says "for fans of blink-182 and simple plan". that's just wrong. and silly. and sick. i mean, simple plan??? c'mon. really, my issue is more along the lines of preaching to the choir is not what jesus intended for christians to do, but that's another topic entirely. make your money. donate some to the church. to your church. to world hunger. go get em, tiger. who am i to judge? right? just don't tell me that our "christian artists" aren't ripping someone else off. if you disagree, we can debate. i will win.

i am out of love with country, but i have grown up enough that i am willing to admit this is out of pure ignorance, and i am ok now with people that like the country music. it's fine. i don't like the whining. i don't get the gratuitous steel guitar and violin and the black cowboy with big and rich. but i don't have to. thankfully, jacob doesn't either.

let's try to steer this pony in the stable now. is jacob stubborn about his music? yes. am i stubborn about my music? yes. are you? more than likely. you know what? i am fine with that. i won't try and convert anyone. you don't try and convert me. we can make fun of each other and each other's music all we want. you know why? because we don't have to listen to that shit when we get in OUR car.

does queen suck? i think so.

does your favorite band suck? i think so.

does my favorite band suck? jacob probably thinks so.

do i care? nope.

why?

cuz' i love jacob.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well then Kevin, I guess we can just agree to disagree about music. After all, music is all about taste...and no two people have the same exact taste about anything. I've often heard people call Queen an "aquired taste." Maybe you think the same thing about your favorite band, I dont know. But what music isn't an "aquired taste" anyway? One hit wonders, that's what. And I'll just leave it at that.

Anonymous said...

I think the problem is that Jacob Suttong does not realize the concept of point of view. Jacob Sutton is just too stubborn about it all. There is no need to set your music in such highly objective regards. Musical tastes, as we all know or at least should know, are highly personal. It is all a matter of perspective. Sure, you can tell somebody that their music sucks, but you better be willing to agree when they come back with the same comment about your music.

Anonymous said...

What gives Joe C.? I'm the one always defending myself in this situation. And not just with me and Kevin. It's me vs. my roommates, me vs. all of my friends, me vs. most of the world...I'm in the minority on this one.

The life of a Queen fan is not easy, let me tell you. ESPECIALLY a young, American Queen fan like myself. But whenever I hear them on the radio, see them on tv, or a new cd at the store, or live (hopefully soon) I just get this great feeling. I can't describe it, but somebody has to know what I'm talking about. Joflo, can you give me a hand on this one? Maybe it's just the feeling of being a fan.

And another thing...You can't just say, "hey I think I'll change my favorite band that I've put so much time and money towards" At least I'm not going to. If you think that's stubborn, it's fine by me, but it probably won't help change my mind.

Also, Also, sorry if I came across as trying to be objective earlier as Joe C. suggests. I was strictly talking from a personal standpoint. When I said, "the only one keeping the good old stuff alive" I just meant that I'm a young fan of older music and I dont want it to go away. Of course, no one else can sympathize with me on that one can they? That's ok. I've written enough.

kevin said...

"a young, american queen fan". you're funny, jacob. and you are right. i haven't seen many of you around. and that's ok. i hope my entry didn't come across as bashing jacob. quite the contrary, i hope. i was just using our difference of opinion as the platform for the post.

although i hear what you are saying, Joe C., i think it was me that was going all southern baptist on jacob. not the other way around. i wanted him to like MY music. he never asked me to like queen.

i think, ultimately, the point i was trying to get across is "who cares?", especially when it comes to musical preferences. it's fun when i can find someone that shares my taste, but the lack of those people doesn't influence what i listen to, nor should it anyone.

if it's queen, propagandhi (seriously, everyone should check out this album for the lyrics alone), nsync or eminem, rock on to what moves you.

and besides, "wu-tang clan ain't nothin' to fuck with." can i get an amen???

Anonymous said...

I'll give you an AMEN on that one! That was my anthem walking to class daily my freshman year...I swear I listened to it in my headphones every day (everyone can laugh, I don't mind!)